Rush of crushing a workout!

I like this thread!

Today, I went to that place we can’t talk about. You know which one I’m talking about :stuck_out_tongue:.

As I finished the second Interval, doubt crept in; my legs felt fatigued and my mind started coming up with reasons to call it off. That’s when the MTP came to the rescue!

“This is meant to be brutal, but that’s why it delivers results. Do your best,” was followed by “I won’t dial it down. I’ll go all in and finish block #3,” and “Come on, you said you’d finish number 3, keep fighting back! Crush one more attack!” and so forth.

Soon, yet an eternity later, I was starting #4 and the message was based on confidence, not hope. “One more to go. Just one merciless, glorious round left," with others like “I will crush it,” and “Attack! Don’t let them regroup!”

I crushed it and got off the bike with shaking legs. I’d showered and was starting to eat my dinner by the time my breathing and heart rate got somewhat back to normal.

That rush, knowing you achieved Honor, Glory, and Victory… It’s a beautiful thing. :love_you_gesture::sunglasses::zap:

7 Likes

Awesome!!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Remember that MTP recommends the third person for positive talk - “I will do it” should be replaced with “You will do it”.

Great job! :+1:

2 Likes

Indeed! Thanks for the reminder :+1:.

I’m somewhat inconsistent at staying in third person, but I can’t say I’ve noticed a difference between first and third. Using appropriately short challenges has made a difference for me, though; if my messages are about a long period of time, I don’t feel as motivated, so I try to keep the goals small and easier to achieve.

I guess that this might be related to my weakness, which is sustained efforts, or I’m just predisposed against considering long durations of Suffering :nerd_face: :sweat_smile:.

2 Likes

Great thread!

I can’t recommend MTP enough. I was unconsciously doing those things on my good days, but then it helped me recognize and stop using negative self talk on other days. It’s helped me nail my new high MAP and AC numbers on FF last Saturday. Telling myself “You’re already halfway done” “Only 2 more minutes” “Just breathe” “Focus on your breathing” “You’ve got this.” “Power thru these last 30 seconds” “It’s only 15 seconds! You can do anything for 15 seconds!” “Give it everything!” Wowza! I get chills just thinking about it. :slight_smile:

I did Joyride this morning. Only did it at 60% for a recovery week, but it gave me instant recall of other couple times I did it at 100%. I love powering thru the cobbles. Makes me want to go ride Paris-Roubaix! Even tho I know riding those damn cobbles it will feel like hello compared to smoothly riding on an indoor trainer. :laughing:

But then watching John Degenkolb getting mobbed by his teammates… More chills. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I got destroyed by it seemed like thin air mashup today. I made it through 1.5hrs taking a bit longer breaks and then finally cutting the intensity down. I also tried running sufferfest and zwift at the same time via my computer bluetooth and usb ANT+ dongle. It worked okay for the most part but the trainer seemed to freeze at certain wattages a few times. The speed during the workout was also pretty bizarre since it was moving without any input from me at all. I might have to refresh my kickr at some point.

I wanted to suffer through it but things didn’t feel right at all and my cadence just wasn’t coming up at all no matter how I tried.

I didn’t want to pull the plug but the decision ended up being made for me. I legit bent my chain (ON THE TRAINER!) and had to get off to straighten it out with two adjustable wrenches… What a day.

2.5 hrs on the trainer feels like forever! I think I’m going to have to finish this one sometime soon though. Oof.

New Rule: Nothing over 1.5 hrs on the trainer for now. It’s too much… I’m sure I’ll have a lapse in good judgement and end up doing something longer again. I think that workout would make for good race simulation kind of training.

3 Likes

Yeah agreed, the TTT at the end of HHNF is superb. Even if I am absolutely hanging at the end of the 2nd effort I always kill it on the those last 3 mins. You would (almost) be forgiven for giving up just for seeing the yellow bar, but the video, music, everything is brilliant. What a team, too.

I just realise that I have it planned for today too. Excited now!

5 Likes