Standing attacks on Smart trainer

Hi Everyone,

I am fairly new to SUF but loving it.

Any tips on how to do these? Maybe it is that I am not strong enough but I cannot stand and do a fast cadence in the workouts without pedal clunks. And the ERG does not respond quickly enough for the short attacks in Attacker workout.

So- any tips on how to get rid of pedal clunks in my workouts? (I am on the All-Purpose Road one).

And is it effective to sit down for the attacks?

This thread might help you:

2 Likes

Ann, I, too am pretty new here and so thereā€™s a million others who could respond way better than I but Iā€™ll throw in my 2cents.
Standing attacks are about strength - that ought to increase as you get more training - you need to be having them based on a ā€˜decently-doneā€™ Full Frontal test.
Cadence is what we all practice - saying that, the video Elements of Style is meant to address cadenceā€™s pedaling in full circles 360degrees so that youā€™re not ā€˜bottoming-outā€™ with pedal clunks. People have various proportions of slow-to-fast twitch ratios in their legs - so that people can range from maxing out at 105 -170rpms. That means if youā€™re standing with spent legs (strength) they wonā€™t spin OR if your legs are strong enough but donā€™t spin then they havenā€™t been trained to maximize their ability to reach your max rpm (which, again, also has to do with your genes for muscle fibers).
Stay with it

2 Likes

Thank you for your encouragement! I do think alot of it is not being strong enough. The good thing is I am improving on the mid programme half Monty. I certainly will keep going.

I could almost never do standing attacks when I started with SUF. It took lots of practice for it become more comfortable. Itā€™s still not that comfortable, but I am able to do it and actually enjoy it on occasion. So, definitely, repetition helps. And then some lower body strength training would help, as well. (weighted squats, etc).