The Tour 2023

200w

4 Likes

2 Likes

With st Patrick’s day the 17th the 18th will be a 10x sufferfest :shamrock::beers::blush:

4 Likes

Got to be an epic amount of Suffering. Guess we have to get more buckets then!

2 Likes

something 's not right here, why has the title of this thread been changed back to “The Tour”? the tour of what? Atlantis? my balcony? a collection of all things and more? why is Sufferlandria no longer allowed to exist?

4 Likes

Hear, hear! (Edited again, @IsiSchneider_KoS, though I would note the separate thread @ the 9H Tavern is going strong).

Really hoping this doesn’t debut next year as “The Tour”. :roll_eyes:

What with SUFF content folks and other minions being kicked to the curb, not liking the writing on the wall here, SYSTM honchos. What say you, Sir @David.McQuillen.KoS?

3 Likes

Alas, send not to know for whom the bell tolls…

2 Likes

wasn’t me, but I accept the parentheses for now

1 Like

Thanks for all the comments coming in about the Tour so far and it is so great that we still have so much enthusiasm around the Tour!

I realise a lot of you may not know much about me so here is some background and intro. I rode my first tour in 2016 leading our community in a Sufferlandrian Embassy in Leeds. I joined The Sufferfest after that in 2017 as customer service minion. Since then I have been a Sufferlandrian and Wahooligan riding the Tour each year and I have been race director for the tour of Sufferlandria for the past 2 years.

Being race director has been so motivating to work more closely with the Davis Phinney Foundation and see just how much the Tour benefits them and their programmes for people living with Parkinsons. On top of being race director, I am the operations manager for the Sports Science team based in Boulder so have the honor of working with sir @Coach.Neal.H (Guru of all things Sports Science and master of Suffering) on a daily basis!

I know we have a lot of experienced Knights, Sufferlandrians and Wahooligans in this community and we are all excited to ride the Tour again for our own training as well as supporting the Davis Phinney Foundation. I look forward to sharing more information about this with you in January when the registration opens and we can announce the route and other news. I appreciate at this stage saying “the Tour is coming” does not provide much insight but we wanted to make you aware of the dates. Sorry these do not work for all of you but you can still ride the tour a different week and do your bit for the Davis Phinney Foundation.

As we know, a few years ago, the Sufferfest became part of the Wahoo family and as a result of this, evolution and adaptation is natural and we look for ways to get more and more people into the Tour and raising as much as we can for the Davis Phinney Foundation. With that in mind, I ask that you keep your minds open as we head towards the start line of the 2023 Tour.

Happy Holidays to all :goat:

Tour of Sufferlandria 2016, Leeds

16 Likes

My mind is open, but I also feel a little sad.

6 Likes

Impressive Pedigree @Rupert.H I can only manage 2019! Sorry to ask but any news on The Tour training plans? Typically they are 8 weeks long and released with no notice- any different this year? just planning ahead!

2 Likes

100%

1 Like

“The Tour” is exchangable, the Tour of Sufferlandria is unique. so whatever kind of tour is on offer, if it’s not the ToS I don’t see a reason to take part, charity or not. the ASO might as well export the Tour de France to Burkina Faso or Martinique or a combination of several other countries, it would no longer be the Tour de France. I enjoy riding along the fringes of Sufferlandria, OnLocs, A Week With, whatever else, cool stuff, science based, just like pro teams ride other events as well, but a Grand Tour is a Grand Tour and shouldn’t be tempered with just because it’s trendy

16 Likes

I’ll still participate, cuz I can never leave, and prizes, and the physical/mental challenge, and Sir @David.McQuillen.KoS but if it stays The Tour and not THE Tour, then it won’t be without some sadness, which I already feel knowing that Sir Dylan was terminated by Wahoo earlier this year and Sirs Cody and Jared more recently.

19 Likes

Man, they’re going to end up w the Tour de Wahoo or something, aren’t they? :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

No offense @Rupert.H - love your coaching and all the stuff you guys are doing over in Boulder - but between the “hey you guys know me, here’s my pedigree (insert corporate mumble speak)” and the loss of Sirs Dylan, Cody and Jared and the other SUFF content folks, I’m not feeling the love. Maybe just me, but kinda feels like you drew the short straw for marketing to roll out as the face of the “trust us” card.

I mean yeah, as Sir @Glen.Coutts said, I’ll continue on for the solid sports science and will participate in future ToS for the yucks, camaraderie, and continued support for @DPhin and the DPF, but I can foresee a tipping point in the too distant future where Wahoo is going to need to circle back and (re)sell many of us on why we should stick with the “SYSTM”.

I’m actually curious if there was a meeting in Atlanta where some marketing suit dropped the “Sufferlandria is confusing - most of the newer subscribers we got from Z***t don’t even understand the reference. Let’s just drop it and call it “the Tour” or something. All the old-school folks will complain, but it’s not like they’re going to go anywhere.”

Hoping for the best, fearing the worst. :grimacing:

15 Likes

Paging Kübler-Ross …

4 Likes

Same here. Not liking this new direction at all. :rage:

14 Likes

I agree with most everyone here. Losing the Tour of SUF would be such a shame….

If there really is a need to rebrand to another name, just create a new tour named differently, but keep the Tour or SUF as is, as it’s been in the past and the way it has worked before and got its reputation as a bad ass tour.

Have both tours runs at different times of the year. Twice the fun and nobody gets hurt.

14 Likes

I would let them have the spring DPF fundraiser and trade for a Sufferlandrian National Day and a separate Sufferlandrian tour of some kind.

I still trust! My mind is open! But I am starting to wonder if we have been used as a super loyal, built-in user base that can be safely ignored once they get the volume they were after. I am eager to be proved wrong in that concern.

14 Likes

+1. Super loyal use base that can be safely back-burnered? Don’t forget useful beta-testers and user base feedback.

Skin. In. The. Game. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

6 Likes