The Wahooligan Tour STAGE 3: A Week With Neal Henderson - Rabbit Mountain

The Wahooligan Tour STAGE 3: A Week With Neal Henderson - Rabbit Mountain
Tuesday March 14

Welcome to Stage 3 of the Wahooligan Tour. Please use the thread to tell us about how your Tour is going so far!

For stage 3, you’re joining Neal for a ride, so he’s taking you out with a few of his friends – Jeff, Julie, and Heather – for a series of four, 10-minute repeats on the infamous Rabbit Mountain. And while the road might repeat, the efforts won’t as Neal comes up with a different approach for each one.

Remember, you have 50 hours to complete each stage. As long as it’s still today’s date anywhere on earth, you’re golden. Check out the Tour Challenge Page for details on stage open and close times.

ATTENTION TEAMS! Join our one-day-only team competition
For the FULL 24hours of Wednesday March 15 MDT (Boulder, CO, USA), our top 24-hour fundraising TEAM earns a special prize – a group RGT ride with Sir Neal Henderson and former 7-Eleven team member Alex Stieda as well as some Wahoo merch! The same rules apply as the individual competition: you have 24 hours to raise the most money as a team for the Davis Phinney Foundation. The winner will be announced on Thursday March 16 MDT (Boulder, CO, USA).

Looking for extra ways to support your fellow riders/ Donate $50 to a rider and then complete this form to get a custom message to your fellow rider during Friday’s Stage 6 of the Tour: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSchY_18_dmQmZibnzfKx95TX-o3kq1P4uEGFrqtuX9zq3th0A/viewform

Daily Challenges!
During each day of The Tour, the top fundraiser of the previous 24 hours will earn a Wahooligan Tour jersey, custom created by our friends at Cuore! The 24-hour block will run from midnight-to-midnight MDT (Boulder, CO, USA). We’re already underway for Day 1, so kick that fundraising up a notch and be the first to earn the jersey!

Find out more about some other challenges happening this week by visiting our Official Race Guide page.

You never ride alone.
Wahooligans unite! Join us on the Official RGT open road for your warm-ups, cool downs, or stage rides. Use the voice chat feature to talk about your Tour experiences so far with fellow riders.

Looking for something more intimate? Join fellow Team DPF members, Wahooligans, and VIPs on Zoom at 9 am MDT (Boulder, CO USA) during The Tour - add this zoom link to your calendar to participate!

Zoom link: Launch Meeting - Zoom
Meeting ID: 885 6838 1159
Passcode: 610161

Your Tour Merchandise

The Official 2023 Wahooligan Tour Poster is available for purchase with all proceeds going to the Davis Phinney Foundation! Add this year’s poster to your collection!

This year, we have also designed a Tour jersey which you can assign to your avatar on RGT during The Tour. But to bring this to life even more, head over to the Cuore store to purchase your actual Wahooligan tour jersey!

6 Likes

Always fun to go looking for rabbits with @Coach.Neal.H

13 Likes

Stage 3 is done!
Today’s ride is beautifully horrible. Never felt this bad after the ride.

17 Likes

Just off it. It is beautifully horrible! Beautiful scenery, punishing efforts. The tour of Neal’s house distracts only temporarily from the beatings. I prepared well by eating 2 hot dogs (yeah I know, haha) then into it… The first ramp was ok for me. The beginning of the “shovel” effort was a bit of a shock to legs which already had Attacker & Revolver in them from previous days, the over-unders (even though not actually 10% over and 10% under like Neal says) still enough to sting - can see why Wahoo dialled them down a touch. The hill climb to finish is straight from the GvA/Neal pain playbook: they’re beaten up already, give them a steady climb followed by a stinging finish! This part had me chewing stem & swaying on the bars. phew… :hot_face:

#WeAllHateSirNeal (and want his bike collection) :wink:

12 Likes

Haha, I like to do this mid-ride on group rides at a store stop, it really throws some people for a loop!

3 Likes

My “poker face”.

Don’t let the name fool you, there’s nothing cute and fluffy about this ride. That third set got me, kinda reminiscent of Revolver, with no recoveries. The unders are “not easy, just easier”. Be warned!

Want to go back to bed, but off to work instead :sleepy:

17 Likes

Stage 3 dedicated to my high school bestie’s dad who has Parkinsons. Have to credit him with introducing me to tea brewed on a hiking stove in the middle of nowhere. I think of him everytime I fire up mine when bikepacking. Here’s to you Irwin! FYI the socks are because blue is his favourite colour.
Rode concurrently on RGT with Natasha and John again, they’ve been legends riding with me every stage so far!

No goat suit today, but it’s back on for the the first stage after I hit the $1,000 mark. And it is SOOOO close. Just $115 away. You know what to do if you want to bring back the goat suit :rofl:
http://events.dpf.org/goto/damelisa

18 Likes

First time riding this one. Jesus, Mary, Joseph and the wee donkey…

13 Likes

I am just waiting for some bright spark to announce they are doing the monthly challenge also

4 Likes

I had the bright idea of doing Attacker and Rabbit Mountain today so I could have a rest day tomorrow.

Let’s just say ISLAGIATT.

22 Likes

Oof that sounds… fun?

1 Like

Coach Neal and I faded at exactly the same time. New MAP numbers for the last 2 minutes were not my friend. I think this best describes how I felt at the end. In case you can’t tell, that’s me trying to get the heck out of this workout as it prepares to eat me alive.

16 Likes

Here we go. Feeling better after 33 hours rest.

Edit:

First time in Rabbit Mountain. What a fun workout, especially seeing Sir Neal get dropped there at the end. But as stage 3 this was brutal. Had to reduce intensity to survive…

Also, what is Wintertriathalon?

Post picture:

10 Likes

Team Suffbuckets presents a small reminder to the group as the one-day-only TEAM competition approaches…

8 Likes

So glad I am not the only one! I also have new (and my highest ever) AC and NM. And when the sprint target came up I nearly died, it was nearly double what normally pops up as a sprint target. Ouch

8 Likes

The over/unders just cooked me. Totally unprepared for those. Can’t remember the last time I even did them.
Note to self: Maybe taking the week off from strength training would be a good idea.

12 Likes

Stage 3 finished at 100%.

Reinforced the maxim, you can tell that it was a hard effort when you cannot wait until the cool down is over.

I learnt last year not to test before the Tour.

10 Likes

I almost feel bad for you Sir, but I LOVE your suffer face! BADASS!!

6 Likes

Haha. Next time bring your A game. Sap!

Edit: Sorry. Sir Sap :wink:

4 Likes

I have come to this conclusion too. I am replacing my usual lift heavy and kettlebells session with some nice recovery yoga

4 Likes