ToS 2022: Stage 3 - The Downward Spiral - is OPEN! Get down with it here

Finished this yesterday morning, forgot to post about it. Heading into it, I was struggling on the very first MAP interval. After that I was dreading everything to come.

I was also resolved to finish at 100%. I had that same dread on each interval, with my legs telling me that surely this is where I crack, my brain in full agreement and my ethos screaming out “Knights don’t quit!”

I was unable to hit the power targets on the last three sprints, standing on the pedals at 40rpm to stave off the death spiral :cyclone:

Certainly proud of that effort and once again amazed at how well these workouts are structured to squeeze out every ounce of suffering possible. Nothing left to give.

10 Likes

The first MAP interval was harder than I expected but all I remembered from my last time in the spiral was the whirlpool and the rider begging to be left in the ditch!

Got half way through the second MAP interval (1:45?) and glanced at my Garmin to see the training stats only to realise it was showing the time and not tracking the activity :scream:

So I did what any data loving Sufferlandrian would do:

• Started Garmin recording
  • Rewound workout to before first map interval
  • Muttered darkly about user error for several intervals

Made it in the end though :face_with_spiral_eyes:

8 Likes

Quality suffering there. Hat’s off to you. (…and maybe a straitjacket).

:grimacing:

3 Likes

This stage was a real battle for me. Ended up dropping both MAP and AC to 70% (from the reduced GMTI targets) and still had to take a couple of breaks after ERG mode death spirals. Congrats to everyone for getting it done!

Looking forward to finding some energy for the remaining stages. :muscle:

5 Likes