Training plans - what to do on open days?

Hi, SUF newb here. I’m a newb to cycling training in general too. I’m doing the Fitness Kickstarter plan and it’s going pretty well so far. This seems like a simple question but I’m having a hard time finding an answer so I thought I’d just ask – What should I be doing on the days where no workout is scheduled? The Kickstarter plan seems to do 2 days of Sufferfest sessions and then 1-2 days off. Are those rest days? I know it’s a beginner plan but that still seems like a lot of rest days. Should I do recovery spins or yoga or something instead on those days?

Welcome! Good to see you here. You have chosen a great plan to start out. I would suggest than you take the days where workouts aren’t scheduled and include some beginner yoga as well as open 30 recovery spins. Do not add additional intensity days. You will get there, one step at a time.

All the best!

4 Likes

Thank you! Yes, I already made the mistake of trying to add an extra session or two to the week . . . had to take a few days off because I was so tired! Oops, won’t be doing that again for awhile.

1 Like

@Coach.Simon.B I actually have a similar question, but in my case, I’m more seasoned. The training plans I follow include yoga, strength and mental. What do you suggest if I have few more hours during the week? Thank you!

If you have not already done so, I would suggest that you do the 4DP test to identify your weaknesses and then outline your goals and goal events. The next step is to be honest with the number of hours you have to train a week and pick the appropriate plan for your needs. The plans are written with a methodical progression in mind so we usually do not suggest adding any content to the plans as this may trigger overreaching. If you feel you really need additional content I would suggest a little mobility or stretching sessions to improve technique during training. The key is to pick the right plan for your needs and training capacity.

All the best for your training!

2 Likes