UCI to not broadcast Women’s world gravel championship

UCI has decided not to broadcast the Women’s World Gravel Championships. :rage: Half the Road.

2 Likes

where’s the frowny face. This is absolutely deplorable. Another reason to get the UCI out of Gravel racing.

2 Likes

Oh FFS

3 Likes

Gcn can only work with the footage they get. My understanding is UCI has limited budget so can’t fund both. Pathetic excuse really. Would be great if everyone could social media spam them about being 1diots. I’ve suggested next year they only broadcast the women’s race. That way their limited budget is used more fairly.

10 Likes

Starting them together would be a hell of a spectacle, logistical nightmare probably but hey - why not, or at least the same day.

2 Likes

UCI requires all top tier women’s events to have live coverage or else they get demoted. I guess they are exempt from their own rules…

8 Likes

Girls Gone Gravel will be having a webinar in early November with the one and only Kathryn Bertine on “How do we bring about change in the UCI?” Riding “Half the Road” this weekend as motivation and reminder that while progress has been made, there is still so much more that needs to be done to support women’s cycling. If you can ride “Half the Road” too, that would be awesome. :biking_woman:t2::raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:t3:

6 Likes

Thank you for this article!

3 Likes

exactly. Hard to “like” the original post when it’s so SUFfing ridiculous!!!

:frowning_face: :angry: :rage:

Edit: the admins/owners of this discourse group ought to allow more reactions. We know it CAN be done cuz we are in a different forum that allows more reactions than just the :heart: “like”. Tagging @Rupert.H

3 Likes

I enjoyed this recent interview with her on the Empirical Cycling podcast as well:

The Cost of Change, with Kathryn Bertine

1 Like

I guess the UCI are going to have to demote the Women’s gravel World’s. Maybe that was their cunning plan all along. I wish I was close enough to bikepack to their HQ and give them a women on gravel bikr spectacle.

3 Likes

Good result, I’m happy with who won the race. It would have been so good to see proper footage rather than clips on social media, I may even write a letter of complaint…

3 Likes

I do ride,live, with Kathryn and the residents of the Homestretch Foundation. I’ve ridden “Half the Road” a few times, but if you want a real eye opener, read her latest book. “Stand”.

2 Likes

Please please do! Turns out they had cameras therr but just couldn’t be bothered to broadcast live. Breaking their own event requirements. In theory, as there was no live broadcast, the women’s gravel world’s has to be relegated down a level for next year. Meh.

3 Likes

So ridiculous. There’s no good reason they couldn’t broadcast it. Probably a tiff with the race organizers for Il Lombardia. Which if so, maybe the UCI should’ve rescheduled it. It’s the UCI’s own fault and decision which is the worst part.

2 Likes

The problem is that Women’s racing has to finally grow a pair and get out from under UCI certification. Look at what is happening with US criterium racing. There’s not one, but three groups, trying to get it re-established after the USA Crits fiasco. I think the only way Womens’ bicycle racing is going to grow with all the changes is for the same thing to happen. teams just leave the UCI and establish their own league and races.