UK Bike Insurance

Has anyone got any recommendations for UK bike insurance?

I’ve been with Bikmo for years as they offered things like race cover but suddenly this year they’ve removed loads of features and jacked up the price 36% :-/

2 Likes

I’ve just gone with Laka. they seem really good so far, but havent had to make a claim yet.

2 Likes

Not heard of them, I’ll check them out cheers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Only time I’ve had a bike nicked (as an adult) was after I gave it a really good clean & it looked smashing. Now I just avoid cleaning anything but the drivetrain. I don’t bother with bike insurance anymore.

2 Likes

It’s more the risk of crashing I had it for. But I am considering just letting it lapse, especially as my bike is now a few years old. Basically if I can’t get a price close to last year’s premium I likely won’t bother.

1 Like

How much did they want?

1 Like

I’ve written off two bikes but on both occasions the car driver’s insurance has paid for it (at realistic current price, not new). I’d consider it if they topped it up to a New Price. When I’ve had crashes on my own it’s mainly my knees that have taken the impact. Scuffs and the front of the STI levers. I’d check the policy was ‘new for old’ or not bother.

1 Like

Yeah it’s new for old and even covered your bike if it was in an official transition zone. Plus accessories, kit etc was covered. It was a really good policy, but they’ve taken a few things away now. Although still new for old which is good

Going up from about £250 to £350! Although I pay monthly (no charge for monthly). So without some of the bells and whistles it becomes less appealing.

1 Like

I just got quotes from a few insurers and Eversure came out cheapest by quite a long way. Seems to be new-for-old and optionally can include competitive events for a small extra premium.

Eversure policy wording

2 Likes

Cheers @neil!

1 Like

I use Pedalcover, but they are only house and bike insurance. Very comprehensive cover and decent price too.

2 Likes

Yeah I did try them a couple of years ago and they were really expensive. I’ll check them out again if they’re more competitive now. Cheers :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve got a policy with Velosure on my best bike - been with them for 3 years now and not been able to beat the price / cover at renewal.

I also have a much cheaper policy with Barclays to cover my other bikes. Cover isn’t as good, but it’s only £4.50/month from memory. It’s a Home & Contents policy but without the H&C parts, so just the cycle cover.

2 Likes

I’ve never had a bike in the top 20% of nicest bikes in a transition zone, which probably kept it safe. I guess I’d be more nervous if I had a nice bike.

I’ve replaced some non structural Allen headed screws with steel security bolts so stuff is a little harder to remove (so I don’t need to worry about small stuff going walkies in town). You can buy a pack of 10 with a security bit for £1 or so. I’d consider other bolts but I’d probably want a trusted brand of bolt. The other thing is medium threadlocker; I’d bet the initial resistance would put many thieves off.

1 Like

I just add it on with home And contents insurance, doesn’t add much. Done it with a few different insurers including Halifax and RIAS and reading the small print the cover seems pretty good, fortunately never had to claim.

1 Like

Unfortunately that only generally covers theft, my main concern is crashing which I’ve never seen covered in a home policy.

1 Like

Halifax mentions just bending a rim on a pothole as a potential claim as long as the bike is specified on your application

2 Likes

Cheers all :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good evening Lee,
Here in Spain we receive insurance with our competition license. This includes third party liability.
It’s a great deal for 90€.
I wonder if British Cycling have anything similar?
Even if you don’t need the license it might be worth a look.
Just an idea!

3 Likes