Wahoo Kickr Core Cadence drops to around 60rpm when going over 125 rpm

I have a new Wahoo Kickr Core for a couple of days now and I’m happy that it allows me to push some watts while my collar bone is healing.

Today I was doing some cadence intervals and noticed a strange effect: The cadence seems accurate as long it is below 125. When 125 rpm is exceeded, the reported cadence drops to around 60 rpm. Is this a known bug/limitation?

I know that the Kickr Core uses power fluctuations to figure out the cadence, so I also want to mention my setup, which may be a little bit unusual: Enduro bike with oval 30T chainring and 11-51 cassette and I could imagine this could lead to power fluctuations

For what it’s worth, I’m using MyWhoosh on Windows, but could retest with a Garmin unit.

In the graph below, you can see the cadence dropping to ~60 when going beyond 125.

1 Like

Hey @manuelous, welcome to the forums!

This is by design as far as I know. The cadence from the Core (just like my Kickr '18) is estimated/calculated rather than a true representation of your RPM. If I am doing cadence builds or holds or anything asking me for max cadence the only sensor I have that accurately (or at least it appears this way) captures it is my old Garmin ant+ only cadence sensor attached to my left crank. Even wahoo’s own cadence sensor (the one you can attach to the crank or your shoe) kinda craps out at 135 rpm.

On a good note, the calculation/estimate from the Kickr is really accurate at more normal rpms like 50-110

2 Likes

Okay, thanks for letting me know. I will try my Garmin Cadence sensor that I have on another bike just out of interest

2 Likes

I can’t vouch for the dual broadcast garmin cadende sensor, only the Ant+ only one. It’s a bit of a faff as I have to get my ant+ dongle and extension cable as well as a usb-c/usb 2 adapter. But I only do this for high cadence intervals when indoor training. Otherwise the Kickr is good enough.

It seemed to work well (Garmin Cadence) on my bike. I took it off because it was striking my shoe.

The garmin cadence sensor I have attaches to the inside of the left crank with the rubber bands. How was your shoe hitting the sensor, Sir?

1 Like

I had to attach it to the outside of the crank due to interference issues. Yes, the cranks are that close to the bike. With what I know now, I think the cranks were installed improperly, but it’s been several years since I bought it.

1 Like

Hmmm… I can vouch for the Core not being that accurate over 130-or so. But 125 is usually within range.

However my Wahoo RPM Cadence sensor that I have attached to my left crank arm is much better and gives me accurate numbers over 170 (I’ve hit 175 which is about my limit on schnitzengruben).

Light weight! :joy:

3 Likes

Maybe he needs more Vitamin E…

2 Likes

I need Vitamin RPM.

1 Like

Eat more schnitzengruben!

3 Likes

Imagine there’s a giant hamster chasing you!

2 Likes

15 is my limit on Schnitzengruben!

1 Like

Sir Evan is up to 175 :wink: :wink:

2 Likes