What are your tips for the Tour's rookie?

In the tour definitely take advantage of the 50 hour Sufferlandrian day (there’s no such thing as a Wahooliganian day since that’s just a super fan, not a real mythical nation). You can get credit for completing a workout as long as it is that day anywhere on the globe, even if it’s not that day in your time zone. So that allows you to start the tour early or late (depending on preference and your time zone), double-up rides on some days, and take longer recovery gaps between rides. And to get the most out of yourself and your rides you need to take full advantage of whatever recovery is available.

5 Likes

This is a brilliant insight. How can we know the exact start and end date in all time-zones? I would assume there will be overlapping time period.

2 Likes

In prior years there was a place that would show timers when each stage opens and closes based on your local time. The long and short of it is that as long as it’s March 12th somewhere in the world, then stage 1 is open and won’t close until it is no longer March 12th anywhere else in the world and so on through each stage.

The support page I linked to earlier has the 50 hour window in a nice graphic if you scroll down a little. Here is the page again: https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/articles/4415022952338-How-To-Prepare-For-The-Tour

Here is the graphic:

4 Likes

Thanks for the chart. It does help the planning. A little bit of question, to “complete” the stage during time window, does the activity needs to be done before the cutoff, or you just need to start before the cutoff and can be finished a bit later than the cutoff?

2 Likes

That question comes up every year and I can never remember the answer :older_man:t2:

I am fairly certain that the workout has to be started prior to the close of the stage and can be finished after the stage is done. Don’t rely on this answer though.

Edit: must be finished before the stage closes. I told you not to rely on my answer :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

@henindhi @Glen.Coutts Found some older information about this, and according to this the complete stage must be finished inside the time window, see: https://wahoox.forum.wahoofitness.com/t/more-information-on-tos-for-newbies/6726/16

4 Likes

This was my understanding as well. Thank you for doing the research. For best results you must start and finish within the 50-hour time window.

I wonder if they’ll have a checklist page accessible from the badge on the progress challenges page like last year.

2 Likes

Looking at the tour route can look intimidating. I just take it a day at a time, using each workout as a stand alone session.We have done hard workouts before and will do them again, so this is just another of those toughie periods we all love. If or when you cannot go full gas anymore, then dial down the intensity.You are going to have to do this anyway, if you cannot do 100%, so no need to beat yourself up about it just do what you can. As mentioned earlier, recovery is key, treat recovery as seriously as you treat the riding, good luck, welcome to the tour and enjoy.

2 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement! So far the legs feel ok (after 2 stages). I plan to do Stage 3 early today and take tomorrow’s stage as a break. I will start again on Wednesday with the chill stage. So far so good!

1 Like

:cook:t2: :kiss:

1 Like

Hi everybody. Rode the first stage, while parallel being on RGT / Borrego Springs.
There were other rides, so I tried the radio function via the RGT App on my iPhone.
Didn’t work, didn’t hear anything, nobody reacted.
Any experiences with it? Maybe the function is hardly used by riders?
As a rookie on Sufferfest/wahoo X and RGT I am absolutey fascinated by the culture clash.
Cheers Tako
(Will present my recovery baverages after stage 2)

4 Likes

Welcome to the forums @TakoGonzales! I’ve used the radio function and it’s always best to enable “push to talk” that way any noise you’ve got in your pain cave is not heard by anyone else. The radio itself tends to be more active or engaging in “organized” group rides like the ALL Access rides The Company was putting on, or a group ride/event put on by a community member. The Borrego Springs route was created just for the Wahoolimabob Tour so people riding it at any one time, might not know each other or might just be shy, or be unfamiliar with the radio option.

Another possible reason for the radio silence may have been that the other riders didn’t have it enabled.

I was planning to do a warmup/cool down on the route but tbh, completely forgot about it until yesterday. I tend to be a solo sufferer having ridden the Tours of Sufferlandria since 2016.

4 Likes

Thanks a lot. I will keep trying. I’ll have my adult bevarage now.

2 Likes

I did a little warmup and there was only 1 or 2 others on course at the time. They musta either not felt like chatting or didn’t have the radio enabled. :man_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

…and then tell us all about it!

:smirk:

2 Likes

This is a dumb question. I’ve been doing the tour these past two days. Is there a place I should post or email my tour results? I know this is all for a good cause and a way to challenge ourselves but curious if that exists. I’m using this virtual for training for my first real tour in 30 years. First “real tour“ was the inaugural Boston to New York AIDS ride.

3 Likes

Not dumb and no need. The app tracks your results and progress. Look in the progress section of the app and awards. It’ll be right at the top with details.

4 Likes

Glen - Grazie! I see there it gives the hours remaining to complete the stage. Awesome. Another question. I see there’s a Women’s History month challenge. Unlike the tour, I don’t see a details link so I searched for it here and found the workouts and added them to my calendar for after the tour. Question- Did I miss the announcement in my feed or is there a forum for monthly challenges? I’m a Tottenham Hotspur fan and my trophy display is as bare as theirs. I can’t have that! Thanks.

3 Likes

Ignore my previous question. Found it. I’m so quick to suffer I jump straight to my scheduled workout and skip the informative feed. Thanks again!

1 Like

I love your banter man lol. Go get your trophies! You deserve it

3 Likes