What are your tips for the Tour's rookie?

Hello, I’m planning to do the tour this year and it surely will be a challenge since it will be the first time for me. I am usually fine with high IF value, but doing it in consecutive days, let alone a week will be a new adventure for me. I would guess my HR will be fine, but the legs will be sore for sure after day 3 or 4. Any advice? Reducing power target maybe? Or something else?

3 Likes

Suggest just taking it day by day, listen to your body and if you feel like an easy day is in order, then dial the % down as required. Wednesday should be “easier” though :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Hey @henindhi it’s pretty exciting participating in The Tour for your first time and there is tons of advice out there for what to do, how to do it. There’s also lots of fun little jabs and jeering and such but that it just part of the silliness of this group. There’s only one thing we love to do more than suffer and that is watch other people suffer :wink:

I’ve moved your post to The Wahooligan Tour page as The Company is no longer calling it The Tour of Sufferlandria. There’s a HUGE backstory there if you read through the forums but at the end of the day the event is all about challenging ourselves while raising money for the Davis Phinney Foundation to help people with Parkinson’s. Always has been, always will be.

Here is a link to The Company’s support site that explains what The Tour is https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/articles/4412385236370-What-is-the-The-Wahooligan-Tour , it’s got loads of info on how to prepare and what to expect. Here is a similar link on How to Prepare: https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/articles/4415022952338-How-To-Prepare-For-The-Tour

The most important thing imho is that you have fun!

5 Likes

Recovery is key, as much time on the bike should be spent recovering!

5 Likes

In the tour definitely take advantage of the 50 hour Sufferlandrian day (there’s no such thing as a Wahooliganian day since that’s just a super fan, not a real mythical nation). You can get credit for completing a workout as long as it is that day anywhere on the globe, even if it’s not that day in your time zone. So that allows you to start the tour early or late (depending on preference and your time zone), double-up rides on some days, and take longer recovery gaps between rides. And to get the most out of yourself and your rides you need to take full advantage of whatever recovery is available.

5 Likes

This is a brilliant insight. How can we know the exact start and end date in all time-zones? I would assume there will be overlapping time period.

2 Likes

In prior years there was a place that would show timers when each stage opens and closes based on your local time. The long and short of it is that as long as it’s March 12th somewhere in the world, then stage 1 is open and won’t close until it is no longer March 12th anywhere else in the world and so on through each stage.

The support page I linked to earlier has the 50 hour window in a nice graphic if you scroll down a little. Here is the page again: https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/articles/4415022952338-How-To-Prepare-For-The-Tour

Here is the graphic:

4 Likes

Thanks for the chart. It does help the planning. A little bit of question, to “complete” the stage during time window, does the activity needs to be done before the cutoff, or you just need to start before the cutoff and can be finished a bit later than the cutoff?

2 Likes

That question comes up every year and I can never remember the answer :older_man:t2:

I am fairly certain that the workout has to be started prior to the close of the stage and can be finished after the stage is done. Don’t rely on this answer though.

Edit: must be finished before the stage closes. I told you not to rely on my answer :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

@henindhi @Glen.Coutts Found some older information about this, and according to this the complete stage must be finished inside the time window, see: https://wahoox.forum.wahoofitness.com/t/more-information-on-tos-for-newbies/6726/16

4 Likes

This was my understanding as well. Thank you for doing the research. For best results you must start and finish within the 50-hour time window.

I wonder if they’ll have a checklist page accessible from the badge on the progress challenges page like last year.

2 Likes

Looking at the tour route can look intimidating. I just take it a day at a time, using each workout as a stand alone session.We have done hard workouts before and will do them again, so this is just another of those toughie periods we all love. If or when you cannot go full gas anymore, then dial down the intensity.You are going to have to do this anyway, if you cannot do 100%, so no need to beat yourself up about it just do what you can. As mentioned earlier, recovery is key, treat recovery as seriously as you treat the riding, good luck, welcome to the tour and enjoy.

2 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement! So far the legs feel ok (after 2 stages). I plan to do Stage 3 early today and take tomorrow’s stage as a break. I will start again on Wednesday with the chill stage. So far so good!

1 Like

:cook:t2: :kiss:

1 Like

Hi everybody. Rode the first stage, while parallel being on RGT / Borrego Springs.
There were other rides, so I tried the radio function via the RGT App on my iPhone.
Didn’t work, didn’t hear anything, nobody reacted.
Any experiences with it? Maybe the function is hardly used by riders?
As a rookie on Sufferfest/wahoo X and RGT I am absolutey fascinated by the culture clash.
Cheers Tako
(Will present my recovery baverages after stage 2)

4 Likes

Welcome to the forums @TakoGonzales! I’ve used the radio function and it’s always best to enable “push to talk” that way any noise you’ve got in your pain cave is not heard by anyone else. The radio itself tends to be more active or engaging in “organized” group rides like the ALL Access rides The Company was putting on, or a group ride/event put on by a community member. The Borrego Springs route was created just for the Wahoolimabob Tour so people riding it at any one time, might not know each other or might just be shy, or be unfamiliar with the radio option.

Another possible reason for the radio silence may have been that the other riders didn’t have it enabled.

I was planning to do a warmup/cool down on the route but tbh, completely forgot about it until yesterday. I tend to be a solo sufferer having ridden the Tours of Sufferlandria since 2016.

4 Likes

Thanks a lot. I will keep trying. I’ll have my adult bevarage now.

2 Likes

I did a little warmup and there was only 1 or 2 others on course at the time. They musta either not felt like chatting or didn’t have the radio enabled. :man_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

…and then tell us all about it!

:smirk:

2 Likes

This is a dumb question. I’ve been doing the tour these past two days. Is there a place I should post or email my tour results? I know this is all for a good cause and a way to challenge ourselves but curious if that exists. I’m using this virtual for training for my first real tour in 30 years. First “real tour“ was the inaugural Boston to New York AIDS ride.

3 Likes