Yoga mats

Anyone got any particular recommendations? I’m in the UK if that makes any difference.

I’m new to yoga, so don’t really know what’s different between different mats.

Thanks

Neil

2 Likes

Neil,
Find one that fits you…be it your budget or hey this one is cool. I have a mix of tile and carpet in my Sufferlandria Shack. Don’t need one for the carpet but when I yoga on the tile that’s a different story. Go simple and see if it works.

1 Like

+1 on getting one that fits. I’m 6’2", and have an 85" long mat. I really like the extra length. I can use shorter mats, but will often find my head or feet off the end at different times. Apart from that, I’d agree with going simple to start, and upgrading later once you know more about what you want.

2 Likes

Hi Neil, there are lots of choices, thick, thin, regular length, extra long, materials. Maybe start with an affordable Gaiam mat then decide if you need something longer or thicker or thinner or a cooler design or want to drop lots of money on a cork mat. There are a lot of options out there.

1 Like

I’m a big fan of the 5mm thick ones from LuLuLemon. Right amount of padding and the surface is quite grippy.

2 Likes

If you’re just starting out I’d recommend the cheap and cheerful ones you can pick up at a store like ‘target’ and those ones usually come with blocks as part of the package - not sure the equivalent in UK. The 2 things a yoga mat do are give you grip for positions like downward dog - so your hands and feet don’t slide away from you and the other is some comfort. The props are important too (New or old to yoga) like blocks and house hold pillows as the positions are most beneficial not as a shape to achieve but a stretch where you can feel a connection from one contact point through the stretch to the other point. That’s where a mat is helpful - gives you purchase. Also, I know a few friends who use a Pilates mat which is thicker than a yoga mat. Enjoy. The yoga sessions in Sufferfest are great.

1 Like

Thanks everyone, I’ll have a look at what’s available nearby - lots of useful pointers.

Cheers

Neil

2 Likes

Sorry to be late to the party. I use Manduka, They do extra long (for 6 foot hubby). And nice and thick. Bit pricey but worth it.

1 Like

Air mats have a gentler surface, which decreases the effect of tumbling on joints and wrists. Falling and slipping also have less effect when the surface is brimming with air. So, you should try air track cheap for the best experience. Subsequently these mats assist you with remaining protected during preparing and aerobatic

If you want a super cheap one to get going with then Decathlon UK sell a few. I’ve had a few different ones (Decathlon and other pricier ones) and tbh for me I’ve never found one outperform another, other than size per @way9e0’s comment. I’m 6’4 and have to factor that in to, well, everything in life.