2023 Tour of Sufferlandria (ToS)

I can live with change, particularly as there are some brutal workouts in the library outside of The Sufferfest. Some ideas include:

AWW UCI: Center 4: Road
PR: Hammer Climb 1
OL: Tasmania: Cygnet Coast Road

6 Likes

And maybe that’s why the name has changed. I would just like the name to be more descriptive than just “The Tour”. Even “The Tour of Suffering” would be an improvement. (I was jesting about the Tour of SYSTM. That was a suggestion.)

2 Likes

@jmckenzieKOS hello, sorry i am newbie at systm. where can we "look for previous Tour of Sufferlandria? Is it posible to ride it, kind of like “a week with” in the library, or do you mean check what videos were on a specific ToS and ride them?
Sorry for such a basic question in this marvelous kingdom.

3 Likes

Here is a list of all previous tours @Tiago_Branco, let us know how you make out :slight_smile:

Edit: also, no need to apologize.

10 Likes

Beat me to it Sir @Glen.Coutts !

There’s also some information about the previous tour routes here.

3 Likes

Hehe. I’m always on the look out to help others (to suffer :smiling_imp:)

4 Likes

Sounds like you’ve just designed your own personal Queen stage there Sir @AlexEllermann :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thank you very much! I will!

1 Like

Yeah… I registered for Hurtin’ in Haliburton, Reggie’s Rambler and The Highlander.

[disclaimer: I’ve not read every post in this thread so apologies if this has already been settled.]

What about calling it the “Tour of SUF”?

After all, Matthieu van der Poel agrees that the Tour of SUF is truly badass.

3 Likes

Pretty sure the writing is on the wall here :frowning:

2 Likes

Yup.

Some serious corporate shilling going on. Badly done. If this were Twitter, the ratio would be epic. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

That was meant as a bit of fun, apologies if it didn’t come across that way.

The spirit of the ToS remains the same, we’re as riders still able to make it as much of a Sufferfest as we like. We also want to make it accessible to more individuals, which we appreciate may not be to the liking of everyone, which is why we still want to keep the SUF spirit alive with the Sufferfest community on here who are integral to the very existence of this platform

3 Likes

That one was me purely trying to be funny. I’ve not been a SUF/SYSTM user for as long as many of the Knights on here, so appreciate I’m not in the same boat with having been a member of this community for as long or having seen the many changes that have occurred to a clearly deeply beloved platform. But what I do know and love about SYSTM is the broadening reach for more people and the willingness to change based on advances in scientific understanding (that’s more from a workouts changes perspective). Not saying any of this from a corporate view, it’s inline with my values as an athlete, coach, and person. I think having a platform that accommodates everyone, including all the Sufferfest Knights, is important. The name has changed, but the spirit remains in the team behind Sufferfest and the community that is an integral part of keeping SUF going within SYSTM

5 Likes

Hey Coach, thanks for all the replies across a couple of threads. I have a rather lengthy one here.

Fwiw, the ToS was to me (and I’m sure many others) really never about just making it a “Sufferfest”. It was always just about pushing myself, doing my best, having fun, being ridiculously Sufferlandrian and of course the DPF. Search Tour of Sufferlandria on the Sufferlandria FB page and you’ll see what I mean.

As for making it accessible for everyone, Sirs Neal and Mac had done that with the ToS starting back in 2020 (I think) by offering Nuclear, Focused, Just Get Me Through it and Fundraising options.

25 Likes

I set riding the Michigan Mountain Mayhem for the first time as goal for this year!

I’m going to do the 100 mile (160k) option, and right after ToS I’m planning on doing the Mountain Fondo training plan on SYSTM.

Any insight from your time riding it? Would be cool if we could make an RGT Magic Road out of a longer than 100k Strava Route so I could practice suffering :grin:

1 Like

You could split the GPS route into two segments and load both into RGT magic roads.

I’ve only done the 120 mile option, so I’ve never ridden the 100 mile option. But my advice would be to stay out of the red zone. Try to keep your heart rate below your LTHR so you don’t run out of matches.

2 Likes

Both great ideas, I appreciate it!

A few other thoughts:

• Travel light.
    I lighten my saddle bag keeping only the essentials to change a flat. I carry a couple of co2 canisters because it’s lighter and quicker than a pump. Then two levers, a nozzle and a spare tube.

• Similarly I start with two bottles, but keep one of them empty to save weight. I fill it if I find myself running out of hydration before I reach the first rest stop.

• “Nothing new on race day”.
    So I bring my proven drink mix in ziplock baggies. They serve Gatorade which I don’t care for. Some have GI issues with it. Only problem with my baggies is that my drink mix is white, so I’ve gotten some questionable glances from riders I’ve passed! Single serve pouches of your hydration mix would be better. I use one baggie per bottle to know I’ve got the ratio of mix to water correct.

• Fuel your ride.
    I prefer to ride with liquid calories instead of solid food, because it sits better in my stomach. But train for your nutrition and do what works best for you. I aim for between 250-300 calories consumed per hour.

3 Likes

All good tips, thanks again @Sir_Brian_M , I appreciate it.

One more question, did you do the optional “SUPER HILL” and is it as tough as it sounds?

For others reading here unfamiliar with this ride it is an optional part of the route and is described as "This is when you will have a chance to tackle the optional “SUPER HILL” a 1/2 mile climb up the backside of Schuss Mountain. This climb is like no other and most that attempt it will fail. The Super Hill starts out at 10% then quickly jumps to 15%-20% and just when you can’t take it any longer you get a long stretch of 25%-29% before the final 10% finish. "

As a recent convert but now seeing myself as a true Sufferlandrian… it sounds fun and no way can I skip it!