4DP vs Half Monty results

One of the best for this is Nine Hammers. Make sure you have decent legs and give that a go with the new HM numbers and you’ll get a sense of how close they are there. The good thing about NH is it’s also hitting those MAP systems hard, with some ftp - both thing that HM gives you so it’s a good match up.

Be interested to hear how you get on.
I don’t do HM typically as it happens but this is a great use case for it … when numbers are increasing fast and then use NH (rested’ish) to back it up.

Just my tuppence worth. (I use NH to validate my FF results every time - rightly or wrongly (and no, not the day after hahah))

1 Like

Sounds like a plan. I’ll let you know how it goes! It’s one I haven’t done yet.

Can see I have that coming up in ToS so interested (like a moth to a flame) to do a recce of it.

1 Like

Full Frontal. Up to you to decide whether or not that’s meant as a Sufferlandrian joke.

Told Off By Angels is one of my “validation” favourites these days. Unlike @Martin I wouldn’t go anywhere near Nine Hammers for this purpose.

3 Likes

Jokes aside (making an assumption here!), I agree the FF is probably the best test - but it also does mean doing a proper taper into it, to get a true picture.
I’ll do a FF after ToS, before starting next 12 week plan but right now keen to find some numbers ahead of ToS that are taxing but achievable.
‘Told off by angels’ looks like a good validation too. Maybe more representative of a tough all round session vs. The toughest (NH?)

Lol.

There’s a heap of workouts out there to be honest. Do either of these … and then use the same one in future maybe.
Fir me it’s as much about the consistency side of it - if I use the same one regularly to ‘validate’ then I have a sense of how that one feels as often (actually more because I do NH more often than FF) as I have a sense of how FF feels - consistency is key … probably more so than whichever workout you pick. As you will get to know where You Are relatively.

Sometimes a workout is better than FF as it’s a real use of those numbers (IMO) but when validating HM, FF eventually is the answer.

Interestingly I’m the opposite Sir Jim - routinely do better on HM than FF - my FTP is always a bit too high on HM and possibly a bit too low on FF. I’ve shuttled back and forth from Attacker to Sprinter to Pursuiter in rider type. I think my sustained efforts stink, so hoping post KoS I can continue to build on endurance.

2 Likes

Well first of all, many thanks Sir Martin for your suggestion of doing Nine Hammers as a validation test. Undoubtedly the hardest session I have done to date. Especially with a new MAP that is 11% higher following Thursday’s Half Monty!

So overall I think I scored a pass on the new numbers. I completed 7 of the nine hammers at 100% and then dropped it to 98% for the last 2. You might recall that the last hammer steps up every minute and I made it until 30 seconds until the very end before I went into a Erg mode death spiral.

I don’t know about other peoples thoughts but I’d say that NH is very much a test of the MAP parameter. It does say it is 5/5 for MAP focus 4/5 for FTP. I thought the Sustain/FTP hammers were very comfortable compared to the VO2 hammers which were touch and go from the first one!

Hard session anyway!

1 Like

Perfect summary and perfect outcome. I think your numbers are sorted :slight_smile:

Well done and enjoy your beer and curry now :slight_smile:

With that performance you might well find another block of training and you’ll see FF results move again …

Nice work

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from 4DP vs Half Monty results:

I’m also someone that jumps around rider types of Sprinter, Attacker and Pursuiter. I’ve done Half Monty three times now and have always faired considerably better than for Full Frontal.

I decided to test this a little further. After a bit of a break from ToS, I decided to do the Full Frontal. I came out with
FTP 263
MAP 339
AC 494
LTHR 166

Then today, a few days later than the FF, with one hard 2hr ride and a Primers workout session in between (far from ideal!), I did the Half Monty. I got
FTP 297 +34
MAP 368 +29
LTHR 170 +4

With such a wide variance (10%+) I’m really not sure what values I should be training with. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Ian

I had the same issue. Basically advice I got was pick a halfway point between the two and do nine hammers. Depending on how it feels you’ll know. See the link below:

1 Like

Thanks!

However one does not simply “do” nine hammers. :slight_smile: I’ve previously done nine hammers after a HM test and the values were probably 5-10% too high as I could only complete seven hammers with those values. I think when they’re closer to accurate, I usually fail in the last minute!

50dwgl

1 Like

Same. I think that’s what is expected though. I was reading if you can do them all then it is time to do a fitness assessment.

Interesting HM results, today.

I last did HM on June 26. My results were MAP 318; FTP 257; cTHR 158.

I did FF the next week. My results were MAP 318; FTP 253; cTHR 162.

I had about 4 weeks off. Then have been sporadic, but improving since the middle of August.

Today I did HM agin. My results were MAP 318; FTP 259; cTHR 160.

That’s amazingly consistent despite the time off. I was actually expecting all my numbers to go DOWN. So, I’m pleasantly surprised. I stopped with 20 seconds to go in the ramp step I was on. Felt like I could’ve made it to the end of the step, but really didn’t feel like pushing myself that hard.

Still, happy to see my highest ever FTP.

1 Like

Good effort and great results. As you say, they’re INCREDIBLY consistent. 318/318/318 !

Of course you know that you now need to do FF again next week. You know, for science.

4 Likes

That’s what I did last time. So, maybe… lol

Yep we need consistency for the consistency!

1 Like

I’m also getting my warranty replacement kCore next week, so I’ll have to do a power test on it, anyway, for #science.

2 Likes

@emacdoug I had a mid-summer break (not intended) of about 2 weeks and had a similar experience to you with numbers. However, from there I started getting even stronger fairly quickly. The recovery definitely helps the mind and the body!

1 Like

Yep. I had to manually drop my numbers down to 235 for a while as I got back into it because they were just too much after a long break. Then put it up to 245 for about the last month. Definitely took a bit of time getting back up. But I do feel a lot fresher. I was in danger of overtraining a couple times. Just shows that a week or two off the bike for recovery can actually help you get even better!

2 Likes

@emacdoug so if do half monty i can manually update my profile with new FTP & map numbers?