Angels - warmup

Those unders/overs. Some days they’re an extended warm up, and all is good in the world. Some days they hurt, and you just know the remaining 45mins is going to be hell.

4 Likes

Angels warmup. Pfft - Not enough for me! My old body needs a good run through Igniter, or at least 10-15 min to prepare. Those over-unders are as much of a mental challenge as a physical one.

I always think of Angels as 3 big climbs, not 4 big efforts. Gets me every time too, kind of like how I never think of The Rookie as being that hard…

2 Likes

@Sir_Clayton … I can recommend GCN ready steady go before these videos. … makes a huge difference to me anyway, but then I really am old

You know how they say ‘you’re as young as you feel’? Well it works both ways :wink:

1 Like

Ah yes. Indeed.

I almost always do igniter at a reduced % before every session up until the first sprint (so about 16:30 I end up doing). I have it so that, give or take, it goes up 5% FTP every 1 minute, except for near the beginning (so I think 70% FTP comes at 4:40 or so). I may take a brief 30sec recovery with around 2mins to go. I make the final 30-60secs 100% FTP and not over FTP. The MAP effort then gets you ready for harder efforts. This works very well for me.

I then usually skip the short warm ups for most workouts and start the video about 1min before the first interval.

1 Like

@Sir_Clayton While acknowledging the humour therein, you need to stop writing how “old” you are when you are younger than me! I’m not ready to let go of my youth (in my head) quite yet :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

@titanicus and @Sir_Clayton, I was just thinking the same thing. I’ll be 55 next month and love cycling. But SUF videos can leave me feeling like I need geriatric care. Geriatric Man In Lycra?

2 Likes

I just do my own warmup for about 10 minutes so I can do a spindown before each video. I like the idea of short warmups for the videos, that way you have the flexibility to warm up on your own.

1 Like

Oh, no, love the over-unders, especially with Tommy V. As for the warm-up, the older Angels did not have as hard of a warm-up as the “new” one. Definitely need a warm-up before the warm-up.

1 Like

You are a young man. :smiley:

1 Like

I had Angels this morning and I was wondering if there was some science behind the logarithmic curve warm up vs the ramp up + 1 or 2 openers in the newer videos.

That warm up with a minute recovery going right into the evil over/unders always has me on the edge of bailing before the 3 climbs.

BTW - thank for removing “chubby riding buddy”!

1 Like

Told Off By Angels still has “chubby riding buddy”

1 Like

first time Angels after hard working day, bad start with this “fun” intervals right at the beginning (weakness in repeated :frowning: ), but then extremly enjoyable climbs and the KICKR CLIMB even made me smile a bit while suffering. Awesome workout, still the motivation is second-to-none compared to on-location rides.

2 Likes