Angels - warmup

Is it me or is the warm up very short on this workout? Is that intentional? I find first thing in the morning I feel like I need more warm up. Thoughts fellow Knights and Sufferlandrians??

2 Likes

I’ve often wondered that. One possible explanation is that the version of Angels we have now is the second version; the original was about 10 minutes longer, so the warmup and cool down were a little bit longer at each end.

There are quite a few workouts with short warmups; it can be beneficial to do Igniter or a similar warmup before starting the video proper, particularly if it’s a hard one.

1 Like

The warm up has always been short on this one. I think part of it is because it’s one of the older ones. Revolver warm up is also pretty brutal

You tend to find the newer workouts have longer warm ups.

2 Likes

I often chuck Ignitor on the start of Angels, just to get that extra warm up

1 Like

Belive it or not, we’ve actually made the warm-up a little bit better since the original release of Angels! But, the backstory: As some of you have pointed out, the earlier videos have shorter warm-ups and the later ones have longer ones. The reason? I got someone who knew what they were doing to design the workouts (enter Sir Neal Henderson). Those early workouts were designed by me based on ‘standard’ indoor workouts of the time. I also got bored by warm-ups and wanted to get straight to the action and so kept them short. That was 10 years ago. Today, I DEFINITELY need longer workouts. Over time, we’ll look at stretching those out a bit on the videos which need that.

20 Likes

Plus 1 for that, angels in particular

1 Like

Nah, keep 'em short. When we can stitch together intervals from different videos to make our own custom workouts we can always stick a bit of Igniter or a few Revolvers on the front if we want to or just check the box indicating our preferred length of warmup and have it done automatically. Simples :smirk:

4 Likes

@JamesT and @David.McQuillen.KoS - Sirs, with that in mind would there be some sense in being able to create a “play list” of work outs. So you can say take Ignitor and add Angels together in a single playable list. That way one wouldn’t have to hop off, switch workouts and restart the intended workout. Just a thought, that this might be useful middle ground before the videos get remastered with longer workouts. Depending on numbers I guess will depend on viability.

6 Likes

Eg Nine Hammers even.
I do Ready Steady Go now before all of these. Take a few minutes then go hit the workout

This creates a sub-question - Igniter or GCN Ready Steady Go.
My current go to is the latter - seems better balanced for a warm up video than Igniter for me

2 Likes

Long standing request Sir John which I suspect has been on the “we’d like to have this but it’s not essential so we’ll get to it after all the essential stuff and some even more like to have things” since day nought. Technically possible, MPEG-DASH is built for this kind of thing, but way harder/slower to actually develop than to think about. Would enable so many cool things though… :slight_smile:

1 Like

As Sir James has mentioned, we’ve had that on our (very long and always growing) ‘to do’ list for quite sometime. At the moment, it’s something we’re looking at for 2021. We’ve got some fairly big projects right now that have to be completed before we can build that function.

4 Likes

Thank you for the useful information, it’s good to know that it’s on the radar and that the backlog is good and healthy :wink:

1 Like

Abi’s yoga is my key to kicken the tires and lighting the fires​:facepunch::t_rex::volcano::muscle:

2 Likes

The starting cadence of 90 in many warm ups take me a minute or so to ramp up to from cold .Then the flywheel gets up to speed and so do my legs, A couple of minutes of hamster stuff and I would be ready for whatever the workout has to offer

1 Like

Exactly. And since GCN Ready Steady Go was released - which was designed v recently by Sir @Coach.Neal.H, and it starts us at 50% and 80rpm I’ve taken to following that principle as I’m assuming that’s the more recent thinking from the coaches.

Then as you say, things warm up and normal service is resumed.

1 Like

Sir @JamesT, I love love love the idea of just adding a preferred length of warmup or stitching a little warmup at the front of some of the Sufferfests! Is this something that SUF is working on Sir @David.McQuillen.KoS?

1 Like

Feel free to get rid of the over/unders. Please.

2 Likes

That explains “Local Hero”

1 Like

I usually pedal for a while at about 130w before starting the videos. If the legs feel good I might get straight into it. If they feel uncomfortable i might give it 5mins more before pushing go on the video.
I am 55 though, and have a sit down job, so it sometimes takes a while for the circulation to crank up!

2 Likes