Burnout and Coming Back

Appreciate Sir Clayton’s post here. I’m going through my own crisis at the moment but I’m still standing! All started off well at the start of year with a good custom Duathlon plan which was going to get me in great shape for some really exciting events over the season. Then it all went downhill, illness, torn Achilles’ tendon on the second workout of the 12 week plan, then the pandemic struck, father goes into hospital before dying about 6 weeks later, another family member passes also. The knock on effect from the pandemic has made sorting out all the family affairs a long dragged out affair and the tendon has not healed aswell as it should. The world just completely went upside down and all of a sudden my roles were completely changed. I was so jealous during lockdown on the hours exercise we were allowed each day when all the cyclists and runners would pass me as I’m hobbling along the path. Lockdown was an opportunity for a lot of people to get fit and I just couldn’t do it. That was massively frustrating. Motivation was at all time low and the lockdown belly grew and grew. I started to ride again a few weeks ago, but only on a weekend as I just can’t get motivated during the working week. I started with full monty to get some new numbers, then started off with workouts that would last around an hour but as I’ve gone along those workouts have gotten shorter and shorter and now I just struggle to get beyond a 30 minute workout. It just isn’t happening. I’ve hit that wall! I’ve decided to just keep doing those 30 minutes workouts on a weekend or go for walks, there will be no competitions and I just feel I want to get through this year in the hope the next one is better. I have set a target of returning to training in November but until then I’m just going to embrace the time to do other things and hope that I’m ready to roll!

6 Likes