Calling ALL riders here to show solidarity with Sir Evan MacDougall

Right there with you John. I did Defender again this morning just 10 hours after I finished it last night, and I did it right when I got up…fasted. It was (a) brutal and (b) impossible to do at 100%. Tomorrow morning will be with a 24 hour break and I will eat first.

I’m not sure that ‘massive’ even does justice to what Sir Evan has done. But humbled to do my small part.

5 Likes

@JohnK and Sir Stuart @Critmark, maybe now you know why I’m always harping on about how much I hate Defender. It’s just 4x10 minutes of no fun at all. Also been 2 years for me. For ALL the reasons!!

5 Likes

@Glen.Coutts I did a threshold block to start the year - so working through the FTP progressions. The block definitely helped. Defender is similar to FTP Progression #4 except it starts above threshold.

2 Likes

@Glen.Coutts oh I well understand Sir. But given the circumstances and what Sir Even has done and is going through, doing Defender for four days in a row pales in comparison. As long as I am above ground for the next 48 hours, this will be done.

2 Likes

Oh, make no mistake, I am 100% certain that this would help, but I’m a solid Couchlandrian nope, no way, nada, nine on the FTP progression no-vids. Thanks for thinking of me though Sir @JSampson :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

That’s awesome Sir Stuart @Critmark!

I’m down for a single, albeit modified, Defender on Tuesday.

2 Likes

:hot_face: :hot_face: :hot_face:

#DAN&DAD

4 Likes

Sir Glen, I have spoken to the Sufferlandrian Board of Knighthood and they are quite concerned about the word ‘modified’ for Tuesday’s ride. After an emergency session they have agreed that you can do any modification you would like, as long as the effort exceeds 98%.

Enjoy the ride!

8 Likes

Mighty nasty of you Sir Stuart. So first let me say thanks to you and to the Board. Let me also assure you that, I will be suffering at no less than 100% because the intensity of the ride will be less than that.

To be clear, I am on a covert mission that requires me to maintain a certain training load, and that mission Sir will benefit ALL of Sufferlandria. This is at the behest of the SUF Scientists and through them, as I understand it, GvA himself.

6 Likes

My troubles were two-fold:

1. For some reason I had convinced myself there were only three blocks so it was not a nice surprise to start the session and see four of them sitting waiting for me.

2. I also thought “well, it’s basically around threshold, it’ll be like riding Cobbler. I like Cobbler”. Mistake - looking on Intervals ICU after the fact I see the Defender blocks average just over 10% higher than the Cobbler blocks. Ouch

See what tomorrow brings :crazy_face:

4 Likes

You judge me too harshly kind Sir. I was merely looking out for your best interest as I was in dire fear of you Knighthood being in jeopardy should rumors arise about extended couchlandrian tendencies. Nothin but love Sir Glen.

4 Likes

I meant nasty in only the very best Sufferlandrian way Sir Stuart. I thought by thanking you, I’d have made that clear but here we are faced with the problems of relying on text based communications for the nuances of our feelings. My apologies. I should have put in a winky face or summin’. Honestly, when I first read the start of your reply that I was judging you “too harshly”, I thought you meant that in the best Sufferlandrian way as well :man_shrugging:t3::rofl:.

I feel the SUF love!

2 Likes

I’m in - didn’t really want to ride Cadence Builds anyway!!!

7 Likes

I’ve read the comment sections on the news sites that have covered this tragic accident, and it is alarming to read the number of posts that have an open disdain for cyclists on the road. To read posts that equate cyclists to “targets”, that cyclists have “no business being on public roads”, speaks to the serious problem of sharing the road.

1 Like

Sir Rick, disgusting is all I can say. I am fortunate to live less than a mile from Specialized HQ that bikes are very prevalent. But still, cyclists get here, me included.

The only way it will change is when drivers are seriously charged and punished. Not holding my breath however.

2 Likes

cries in German

4 Likes

Ain’t that the truth?

1 Like

came across this video yesterday, re-thinking cycling as a means of (active) transport can make a huge difference

I actually enjoy cadence builds and usually look forward to reestablishing my membership in the 200+ club. Once a sprinter…

2 Likes

Defender done after a 30 min row for an extra bit of suffering!

6 Likes