Century in 5 months. What now?

First time for me so a guaranteed PR as long as I finish!

2 Likes

Trust the plan!

2 Likes

Good luck! I’m sure you’ll nail it.

Beyond pure saddle time if there are any long or steep climbs probably worth practicing those at an appropriate distance. 15% hits different at mile 80 than mile 8.

Also as with any training plan there are always choices

• If you’re strong on the bike but spend 40 hours a week at a desk maybe strength and conditioning is more important than an interval session when time is tight.
  • if you feel run down from life stress perhaps yoga or a good night’s sleep is going to be better than a MAP session.
5 Likes

Second the strength and conditioning above. Personally I also got a huge bang for my buck doing the core yoga videos (and especially the 30 day challenge) although obviously YMMV on that.

1 Like

You’re totally right @BertieBoy and @fukawitribe - I’ve been enjoying the yoga videos and find them and the strength ones good options for when time is tight (which is often, to be honest). I’m also getting better at trusting myself if I do find that life gets in the way of the plan.

2 Likes

My century plan starts next week. I feel in general in good shape - I got through Blender last Sunday and found it pretty manageable. Should I do a new FF or HM before getting into the new plan? I’m kind of exhausted by work and life at the moment, it’s not the most tempting prospect but I could probably fit one in this weekend…

1 Like

@gafferbee If it has been a while and you feel like you have made some progress then try a Half Monty as it allows you to skip all of the prep for a Full Frontal. Further, for a century plan you probably don’t really need to update NM and AC values.

2 Likes

Thanks. I did a FF on Jan 2. I’m curious to know how I’ve got on since then, so maybe I’ll give HM a go.

2 Likes

Training for at least 12 weeks can give you ample time to prepare your body and work toward finishing a century ride. This also includes time for preparing for the event itself. 10 weeks is considered the minimum for a healthy adult.

3 Likes

So, five months have flown by, and this happened today. I trusted the plan and had a great time. I’ve never done a mass bike ride before outside a sprint triathlon - it’s clear there a many, many cyclists faster than me but I made it round in 5h 34mins.

I learned so much from using SYSTM these past eight months or so. I could feel and see the results today. I trusted my legs and knew I could push on as the event progressed. My head was in the game as well.

I know there’s a lot of history and discussion on here re the company and the Sufferfest. But as a relative newbie (I’ve been here since September) I’d say the product is excellent and effective. I don’t think I’d have has clue what I was doing if I just followed a plan in Zwift or something.

Now to find a new challenge!

18 Likes

Excellent, and well done @gafferbee on completing your first gran fondo!

I totally echo your sentiments about SYSTM as an excellent training and preparation platform. I’ve had similar experiences, also being a relative newbie. Look forward to hearing about your next adventure.

5 Likes

@gafferbee Awesome - congrats to you!

@gafferbee Totally agree - works great for me as well. I use everything - in and off season plans, strength, yoga, mobility, mental toughness. There is a lot offered and coming from the Sufferfest platform I also enjoy having other options - ProRides, Week With, On Location, RGT, Inspiration vids. I have actually been doing a lot of NoVids recently as well. There are some great workouts in that library - you just have to bring your own music, video or podcast.

5 Likes

Great time for a full Century. On to bigger things.

3 Likes

@jmckenzieKOS It was more like 6hrs with the rest stops, and the roads were closed, which definitely helped. But my Bolt recorded 5:34 so I’m sticking with that!

5 Likes

Still that’s a great effort. Kudos to you. BTW, my first Century took over 10 hours.

3 Likes

EXC and congratulations on hitting a big goal, @gafferbee!

That’s a great time!

Yup, onward and upward!

:clap:t2::clap:t4::clap:t6:

1 Like

Thanks @CPT_A and @jmckenzieKOS!
I’ve appreciated all the support and wise words on here.

3 Likes

Awesome job, and inspiring.

I was trying to find some feedback on the metric century plan for my own longer goal, and reading this from start to finish was perfect.

I overthink all of my choices, from the plans to the app to the schedule to the… (and we have so many choices).

I think I’ll turn off my brain and trust the plan.

Congrats again.

6 Likes

So very same. It’s hard - lord knows - but it works!

4 Likes