Choosing my building blocks plan

So I just st finished a training plan and am going to be getting ready for some big rides in September. The rides I have planned come 3 weekends in a row. First is a 500km rugged gravel bikepacking trip around Central Ontario. Next is an 8 hour gravel race solo, amd finally am 8 hour mtb race solo. Lots of km, lots of Elevation for all 3. My question is would I be better off using the base building blocks plan or the ftp building buildong block plan? I will also be adding additional volume where possible.

3 Likes

If it were me, I would just a custom training plan from SUF. They’re a ridiculous value, and I can’t recommend them enough. Especially Sir Spencer.

3 Likes

@Velodan_KoS,

I’d have to agree with @Sir_Clayton- you’d be best suited to a customized plan. The events you have on the horizon are big and you want to be prepared as best you can be, right? Plus, a coach will help you optimize the time in-between events to recover and set up properly for the next one. Best of luck to you!

1 Like

Thanks for the input however, a customized training plan is not in the budget at this time. This is why I am trying to make due with what is available to me.

1 Like

Base building blocks, in 3 or 4 week format. Read, digest, perform: https://thesufferfest.com/blogs/training-resources/how-to-use-the-new-building-block-training-plans?utm_source=Current+App+Subscribers&utm_campaign=86ebd350df-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_06_BUILDINGBLOCKS_SUBS&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_1510105700-86ebd350df-127427785&mc_cid=86ebd350df&mc_eid=c43bee1b1c
Good luck!

2 Likes

@Velodan_KoS,
In that case, here are couple of options to consider:

1- Build your own plan using the tempo and FTP block plans as well as the Volcano Climbing Plan, since you have a lot of elevation in your events. And probably make some substitutions for long outdoor weekend rides to build endurance.

2- Use the first 5-6 weeks (or whatever time you have available before your events start) of either the Mountainous/Hilly Gran Fondo or 100 mile gravel plan since those plans account for similar elevation and distance goals- or close. But move the taper and event weeks up to where they need to be to line up with your first event. Unfortunately, our calendar doesn’t let you physically move or delete workouts on it (yet), but I’m sure you can find a way to organize it on a separate calendar or map it out old school on a pen/paper calendar. I still like to do it that way most times!

1 Like

Thanks @Coach.Suzie.S, I appreciate the advice. Looking into both options listed I think I will go with doing the first 6 weeks of the 100 mile gravel plan with the taper week before my events start. I feel the progression given by the plan will likely be more effective than whatever I piece together using my own brainpower. Hopefully with this advice I should be able to not only survive but truly perform well in what will be a grueling September.

1 Like

@Velodan_KoS,
Not knowing what you’ve been doing up to this point, starting at week 1 of the gravel plan is the best recommendation, but if you feel like you’ve already done a higher training load and feel like you can jump ahead in the plan to where it will challenge you a little more, that’s ok too. Just be mindful not to jump into too high a training load too quickly!

1 Like