Plan for 150 mile 4500m climbing in a day

Hi. After some advice as relatively new to structured training plans. Currently doing TOS prep plan and the the tour (first time😳). Then will do the 2 week post tour plan. Question is after that what would be best plan to pick in prep for a 150 mile 4500m climbing to be completed in a day (C2C for anyone in UK). The ride is end of June so I have time to do a 12 week plan and then a 4 week special focus plan. Any pointers appreciated - all I’ve done previously is a 12 week all purpose road plan so not sure what the specific long distance and or climbing ones would entail. TIA.

1 Like

I’d go for a the Gravel Grinder 200 and if it were me, I’d end with that and use one of the building blocks plans post ToS. My thinking is that your event is a BIG deal, and the GG plan is designed to end on the day of a big event.

1 Like

You could always add in some climbing type vids on days where you have lower volume (I’m thinking like GOAT or Power Station as they’re meant to develop that climbing skill).

1 Like

Hey @Robbez ,
You could definitely do what @Glen.Coutts suggests. Another possible option would be - Volcano climbing plan then the mountainous gran fondo plan with a bit of extra volume on your weekend rides. You can compare that plan and the GG to see which bests suits your schedule.
Cheers!

3 Likes

Thanks guys for pointers - I’d certainly not looked at gravel plan options as…well… I thought they were for gravel riders - my mistake. I’m relatively time limited with young family/work etc so I’m going to do s compare of the various suggested plans and try and find one that fits with my available time - I know it will ultimately mean a compromise between gainz I could have got but need to be realistic. If I considered the all purpose road plan how much would that compromise me compared to the more specific plans suggested? Cheers. Rob

1 Like

Hey @Robbez ,
I totally understand about time constraints. Training has to fit into your life. An ideal solution is do let one of our coaches design a plan that fits optimally with your allotted time to train. If that’s not a possibility, the all purpose road plan could be used in order for you to finish the event. Cheers.

1 Like

I’m training for a similar summer road event (Letape du Tour). I was thinking of ending with the mountainous gran fondo plan, with some extended weekend endurance rides to cover the distance and fuelling strategy etc. But I will also take a look at the gravel grinder plan as I hadn’t really considered that.

1 Like

GG200 has some long AF weekend rides if you were to only do them indoors.

1 Like

Similar situation for me, Michigan Coast to Coast at the end of June. Current plan is to use the GG200 after completing the remaining sessions of the All Purpose Road plan, at the end of March. The substitution of the Volcano or a Building Block plan could be a nice boost to the fitness for the upcoming increase in volume.

1 Like

Yeah GG plans have long rides over weekend - and whilst I’m sure I’d benefit from it I’m not sure I could fit in with everything else. What building block plan would be good for endurance/climbing ride - presume more base or FTP?

I suppose it depends on the type of climbing. If it’s loooong climbs then I’d probably look at FTP if it’s short and punchy probably MAP. (Which will also help your FTP$ If you want to focus specifically on climbing then you can’t go wrong with the Volcano Climbing plan like Coach Spencer suggested. Like anything though you have to consider your goals and how you want to do.

Given your time constraints, family and work responsibilities, and your general lack of experience with structured training, if it were me, I’d be seriously considering a custom plan.

Full disclosure, I don’t work for Wahoo/SUF, and I’ve never bought a custom plan but I’ve heard nothing but great things from everyone that has used them.

I was considering doing an FTP block followed by the Mountain Gran Fondo plan ending on my event. Volcano sounds interesting as an alternative to the FTP block, but was wondering if I might peak too soon with it so far out from the event. I hear it’s quite intense, but I haven’t checked it out yet. FTP block seems like a more gradual build up ahead of the Gran Fondo plan. Any thoughts?