It makes 10 days i try to use the application. On windows or Android, it’s always like to be in hell. Some times it works, my device is recognized, but speed is always swithcing from 30Kph and 250Kph. But most of the time, it just says Connection problem.
So i stop Bluetooth and start it again.
Then i switch off the Home Trainer, and switch on again.
Last time i tried during 30 minutes before beeing able to ride, with a wrong speed.
Now, it makes more than 40 minutes and it’s still failing.
It’s sad coz it seems to be interesting, and video are great, but the application bluetooth connection is such a failure.
Any helps is welcome. I only have 4 days to continue the test before stopping everything. I will not pay for it if i don’t succeed to start each session in less than 5 mintues.
Hi. I’m using an Elite Direto X, thus is a direct drive system so the speed is calculated by the HT and sent to the application.
I will look at the firmware, but I succeed to make it works finely with the right speed only once.
Yesterday, in device panel of Systm app on windows, it sees the HT but fail to connect. I switch off the Bluetooth of all other devices around. It succeed to connect one time but with the speed problem so I tried again, and it never succeed again.
The connection is done over Bluetooth. I don’t use any cadence/speed/power sensor except the Direto. I tried on windows 10 and Android 11.
Yep SufSpeed is calculated in the SYSTM App. basically the app knows what you weigh and knows what cadence and power you’re putting out and what virtual gradient you’re climbing, so is much more able to calculate a realistic virtual speed. The trainer doesn’t have all that information, only some of it I guess.