Difference between AC and MAP

Hi @m_prox34 and welcome to the Wahoo SYSTM Forums! @emacdoug is spot on when suggesting to work on both MAP and FTP to help you increase your power on longer efforts. I like to think about it like this …
NM is like your max vertical jump or your max 1 rep weight lift - all the power you have concentrated in one explosive effort
AC is like your maximum sprint effort - I come from a running background, so I like to think of it like anything from a 100 - 400m all out sprint
MAP is very similar to VO2max effort - again with the running analogy this would be like your 800m to 1 mile all out effort
FTP is your 1 hour maximal effort - for me the intensity sensation is something like a maximum 10k effort (or longer depending on how fast you are)
To increase your endurance efforts work MAP alongside FTP intervals, and I would also recommend sub-threshold efforts in addition to long aerobic riding. In my experience the higher intensity intervals (MAP/FTP) are extremely valuable for increasing the power, the aerobic endurance rides are needed to increase mitochondria density and to build capillaries to transport oxygenated blood, but those sub-threshold rides build the grit and mental tenacity (again, in my experience) to be able to mentally tolerate the discomfort of pushing power for extended periods of time.

4 Likes