Difference between AC and MAP

Not quite sure of the differences. My results seem to indicate weaknesses on longer rides requiring a lot of threshold efforts. So which one AC or MAP is best to work on. Thanks

1 Like

There is information here about the different power categories in the 4DP test: https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/articles/360021387420-Learn-about-4DP

Welcome to the forums @m_prox34!

4 Likes

AC is closer to the NM camp. Basically long sprints (20-60 seconds) and shows your ability to make repeated hard efforts and recover.

MAP is more for long surges or punchy/power climbs between 3-7 minutes where you hold your power above threshold then recover.

So if you work MAP and FTP you’ll build your threshold efforts more. MAP creates a ceiling on your FTP, so that’s why you usually work them in tandem rather than just solely FTP if you want to improve your long sustained efforts. Plus, unless you’re only doing ITT efforts, you’ll always need to be able to push above FTP from time to time for surges, etc.

5 Likes

Thanks! Appreciate the feedback Yes longer repeated climbs at threshold destroy me when mountain biking

1 Like

agree with @emacdoug in general but there’s some extra nuance because of the way that SYSTM uses AC. You notice they test it at the end of the FF, whereas if all it was testing was truly anaerobic capacity, a fresh effort would be a better proxy. So really it’s not AC exactly, more like a measurement to set appropriate targets for hard repeated efforts (emphasis on repeated) within the context of the SUF model.

If you have trouble with AC workouts, it could be (i) the size of the bucket (actual anaerobic capacity), which you can train with the AC workouts; or (ii) how fast that bucket refills, which is an aerobic process (so MAP, FTP and tempo workouts could actually–counterintuitively–train it better than AC workouts would).

3 Likes

Hi @m_prox34 and welcome to the Wahoo SYSTM Forums! @emacdoug is spot on when suggesting to work on both MAP and FTP to help you increase your power on longer efforts. I like to think about it like this …
NM is like your max vertical jump or your max 1 rep weight lift - all the power you have concentrated in one explosive effort
AC is like your maximum sprint effort - I come from a running background, so I like to think of it like anything from a 100 - 400m all out sprint
MAP is very similar to VO2max effort - again with the running analogy this would be like your 800m to 1 mile all out effort
FTP is your 1 hour maximal effort - for me the intensity sensation is something like a maximum 10k effort (or longer depending on how fast you are)
To increase your endurance efforts work MAP alongside FTP intervals, and I would also recommend sub-threshold efforts in addition to long aerobic riding. In my experience the higher intensity intervals (MAP/FTP) are extremely valuable for increasing the power, the aerobic endurance rides are needed to increase mitochondria density and to build capillaries to transport oxygenated blood, but those sub-threshold rides build the grit and mental tenacity (again, in my experience) to be able to mentally tolerate the discomfort of pushing power for extended periods of time.

4 Likes

Thanks and appreciate the analogies. Lots of work to do!

1 Like

Understood and thanks

2 Likes