Epic Rides or Group Rides in Europe

Now that I live in Germany, I am trying to assemble a bucket list of rides in Europe. What is your bucket list ride in Europe or have you done one before? I would love to hear what people share. I’m also okay paying for guided rides in epic places because it can really enhance the experience.

4 Likes

Great idea for a topic.

Easy: Any ride in the dolomite region. Make sure you see the Three Peaks and Rosengarten, though. :slight_smile: Absolutely breathtaking.
Favorite time: September.

Maybe you could even slot in a ride together with Mike Cotty. That’s certainly on my bucket list.

I have many more ideas but will leave it at one recommendation at a time.

2 Likes

Vätternrundan in Sweden (although I’ve heard the half distance version is a more interesting ride).

2 Likes

Tourmalet was on my list for this year, alas it was cancelled for reasons we are all aware of! I had planned to do a number of the climbs around the Pyrenees but the Tourmalet was my main one!

1 Like

I’ve done Alpe d’huez. There was a photographer hanging out on a corner near the top who took photos of everyone coming up and then handed you a business card. I bought the photo and framed it- I love having it to remind me of a great ride and a memorable trip to Europe!
P.S. I don’t recommend riding it on a tri bike…or probably any European mountains for that matter!

4 Likes

Many of the big climbs will have photographers strategically placed. We got some amazing photos from the Galibier and Alpe D’Huez. They take your photo and hand you their card. I was so glad to get these. I also loved the organized trip where the Tour company handled all the logistics- transfers, bikes, meals -everything and all we had to do was show up to ride. We had an amazing trip to the Alps with Thomson bike Tours

2 Likes

Okay, so the only one I have thought about myself is Stelvio Pass. Let me get the list going.

1. Stelvio Pass
  2. Dolomite Region to see the Three Peaks and Rosengarten.
  3. See if Mike Cotty is doing any tours and if not check on other tours like Thomas bikes.
  4. Vatternrundan in Sweden.
  5. Tourmalet.
  6. Alpe d’huez for the prestige.

What about flat coastal rides? I know everyone goes after the big mountains but there has to be some beautiful coastal country rides also.

1 Like

I’ve done a lot of cycling in the Alps, broadly between Ventoux and Zoncolan.

There are too many beautiful climbs/passes out there to ride in a lifetime, but if you (cherry) pick the more famous, you’ll already have enough to talk about.

There are not that many photographers and they sometimes get scared away by the (bad) weather. But other than the already mentioned Alpe d’Huez (usually 2, in bend 6 and 2) and the Galibier, you can find them on the Izoard and obviously on the Stelvio.

If you go to Barcelonnette, Briançon or Bourg-Saint-Maurice, you have (famous) passes all around you, like the Iseran, Cormet de Roslend, La Plagne, Bonette, Vars and many more.

Tre Cime di Lavaredo, already mentioned, is worth the incredible hard effort, IF you make sure the weather is allowing a view. I had fog blocking sight there, as I have had on the Angel (also worth it) and the Stelvio.

Close to the Catinaccio region, is the famous Sella group, with breathtaking views and a few great cycling trips around that, like the Maratona and the Sella Ronda.

In Switzerland, go to Andermatt and eat you heart out on the Gotthard, Furka, Grimsel, Susten and Nufenen. Closer to the Italian border (south-east), you have the Albula, Julier, Bernina and Fluela.

There’s just so much to see/do…

4 Likes

Try Italy or Spain, probably there are some in France too. From what I have seen, best coastal rides are in Italy, or rides around the (big) lakes there.

1 Like

If you want some wet, cold, miserable weather then try the UK :joy:

6 Likes

@Alistair_Brown HAHA! I will wait for the rare opportunity to ride in the UK some day.

3 Likes

Tour de flanders, ride it one day before the pro’s.
270km of fun. And many people on the track already supporting for you.

4 Likes

Sanetsch in Switzerland. #SanetschSpecialCows

6 Likes

Oh, and since it’s not far from you the Oetztaler Marathon. Brutal.

2 Likes

It isn’t exactly coastal but 180km around Lake Geneva is a great day out and you can take in all the mountains around you. (I would recommend starting in Geneva or Lausanne)

3 Likes

Ha. Yes been on lot … but pick your day and it just doesn’t get any better :slight_smile:

1 Like

If I can afford it come the time then shout me and I’d love to do one of these things as a one off bucket list life thing !

1 Like

That was one of them @Alistair_Brown for sure. Someone I k is just did that non stop —— raised loads of money for CRY charity. Amazing effort. But something for people with three lungs and two hearts :slight_smile: and a Z2 power output akin to pro’s.

Be a great trip esp is someone was also ‘on holiday’ with a van …

1 Like

Definitely one of the TransAlp routes from Germany (like Obertsdorf) into Italy (Riva Del Garda) with a Stelvio Pass. Those memories will stay with you forever.

2 Likes

I can’t leave Alain and Luca out of this. I remember their tours during SUFCamp two years ago. I think this is a super likely option for next summer if anyone wants to join. https://switchback.alpsinsight.com/

4 Likes