Fat Noob here.........1st time user....need help

Okay so, good news and bad news. The good news is that any program that is appropriately challenging will help you improve—all aerobic trainings will build your endurance and durability ie ability to sustain power, you just have to be patient—the bad news is that it still doesn’t answer the question, how to choose :).

My view is that at this point, where you are is far more important than where you are trying to go. Meaning, primary consideration is your current fitness, the rest falls into place.

So for example, if you’ve been training about three times a week, pick a plan that has you training 3 or maybe 4 times per week (not five or six). You want something that will be challenging for you, to make you adapt, but not so challenging that you struggle to recover bc then your improvement will be slower. You can always add more work, but once you do it, it can’t be taken away, if that makes any sense.

The following is my view and others may disagree, but I believe Consistency here is your best friend. You want to suffer in the sessions—and it’s okay to dig a deep hole occasionally on purpose like in The Tour of Suff—but the overall journey should, for the most part, not be devastatingly uncomfortable. You want to be suffering at the end of a session but fresh at the beginning. That’s how you maximize consistency and that normally means a conservative ramp up.

Also, during the two weeks you’re traveling, anything you can do a few times a week in a hotel gym would be helpful, even if it’s just a light jog, weights or spinning for 30 mins.

1 Like

I’m a “larger gentleman” myself. I’m about to finish my first 12 week plan, and I’ve lost a lot of weight in the process. I feel fitter and stronger, the weight loss is happening as a side affect. If you focus on consistency of getting on the bike, the results will come.

4 Likes

I should add, that the All Purpose Road (Intermediate) was awesome for me. Stick to it, and trust the plan. The recovery/rest days pay off in the long run. I snuck in the Tour of Sufferlandria this year during what was supposed to be a hard week anyway, but the Tour week didn’t have the built in recovery. I’m not sure I ever recovered fully from the Tour as I tried to just carry on the week after with the plans original quiet week. I think I needed more rest.

Sticking to the plan I could feel myself getting stronger and fitter and growing in confidence. Altering the plan has left me feeling noticeably more fatigued and not quite ready to get back on the bike every time the plan says I should.

I’m tapering to my final 4DP on Sunday, but will add a week of rest before starting a new 12 week program. I’ll be sticking to the plan religiously from now. I’ve learned my lesson.

Martin

2 Likes

@devolikewhoa

Thank you so much for the advice. I will try to incorporate your advice into my two weeks. I will miss my bike and trainer a lot. But I will also be picking up my new bike during the two weeks. So I will be riding the new bike until I get home.

@Fezzek

Thanks for the advice on the All Purpose Road. currently doing the FTP building blocks and lost 6kg so far. so I will fight on. Good luck on your 4dp. kind of screwed up mine when my MAP is flagged. Do feel free to post here and share with me on your progress.

To healthier life!!!

2 Likes

How’s the healthier life quest going ?

Got back ok from the break ?

Thank you @pauloserra for your post.

So sorry for the late reply. Saw your email 3 days ago. Wanted to reply you immediately but my Full-Monthy was today. So why not update you with some good/bad news after my full month.

Sorry for the long post. But here is my experience since starting my plan.

Bicycle
I am from Malaysia. Cycling is not as big in my country like in Europe or America. So most (as actually it is all) LBS dont uses modern fitting equipments/technology. If Specialized is famous for the Retul fitting, the LBS at my hometown all uses "eye"tul. So the idiot that I am, I walked into a local bike store. Told the guy. I want the Trek Madone. So the guy at the store uses Eyetul. Scanning from top to bottom. You need the smallest size. Without asking any followup questions, I bought a size 50 Trek Madone. But after riding, I would have blisters at area where the sun dont shine, balls go numb, knees aching and my back gave me the feeling that I am an elderly person (find it strange as I play golf alot, so I was finding it strange that my back hurts that bad). After chatting with a friend, my friend recommended me to go for a professional fitting. (The professional fitting here means to fit without any bike frame reference as though as I am a new cyclist). After the gruelling 1 hour fitting session, my fitter told me that the size 50 trek madone is way too big for me. I am 1.63m tall with an inseam of 74.2cm.

After consulting my fitter and my friend, i made up my mind to order a custom frame. A frame measured and made to my size. I was worried for the price and all those. But my friend made a remark which helped me made up my decision. “Dude, you are way past your puberty. You won’t grow any taller. So why not fork out a little bit more and order a bike which is catered to you”. After a few months, the new bike arrive. Now I am riding without pain and the best thing is…I won’t be able to find this bike frame geometry anywhere else on earth because it is made for me. (Everyone is unique)

So to those new riders who is doing research before spending the big bucks. I love the Trek Madone SLR. But but but…DONT REPEAT THE MISTAKE I COMMITTED…GET A PROFESSIONAL BIKE FIT…helps you from avoiding unnecessary spending.

Trainer
The first trainer I bought was the Wahoo Kickr Core. It was fun but I kind of feel that the trainer is ruining my new bike. (Yes, some people may say it doesn’t. But please understand. I love my equipment alot. My bike goes for washing every week. I sent it to professional car wash to polish my bike frame.) So I had a discussion with my LBS (not the one who sold me the Trek) whether can I trade in my Wahoo Kickr Core after the LBS owner told me the Kickr Bike arrived. She told me no guaranteed but she would do her best if it is a consignment. So the Kickr Bike was delivered to my house and had a fun day assembling the Kickr Bike. Good news on the next day, the Kickr was sold. I made a USD25 loss!!!. I was happy. I didn’t expect it to be sold at such a good price and so soon. The owner told me the new owner came in and buy a trainer just in case our government impose another lockdown due to the rising case at that time. So I bought the owner a meal to show my appreciation. The Kickr Bike is fun to play with. Tip: The measurement provided by the Wahoo App is only for reference. Best to measure it again after inputting your figure to make sure that it is according to your fitting.

Plan
As per mentioned earlier, I first did the FTP training block before leaving town for 2 weeks for some official business. Once I got back, I was going through all the plans available. There were two plans. Couch to Crusher or All-Purpose Road. I know the effectiveness of Couch to Crusher after viewing GCN. But, I felt that the workout is too little. So I chose All-Purpose Road. Next question is what level should I choose for All-Purpose Road. At first, I wanted to go for the intermediate level. Because according to the description, Advance level is for people who have ridden 5-10 hours in the past two months. I definitely didn’t do that. But I was thinking, I have so much free time on hand because of the lockdown. So why not? I chose the Advance level with the Indoor Only Options with Strength. In addition, I also selected Yoga. The first two weeks I follow it to the dot. Doing all the workouts, but I kind of become lazy after the two weeks (GVA or the Goat please dont hunt me down). So I skipped some of the Yoga and Strength session. (To be honest, the Yoga session gave me a tougher time than Strength. But, I did ALL the cycling workout. Even if I come back home late, I will make sure I will do it before I turn in the the day. The first month is super tiring for me. I have to stop a few times just to catch my breath. Sometimes I have to shout just to distract myself from the agony to complete the workout. But after the first 1 to 2 months, I am able to ride at a steady pace. Complete the workout without stopping. I used to drink two bottles of water to complete the longer workouts (1.5-2Hrs workout), but 1 bottle suffice for now.

At the start of the plan I was 86.5kg, it has now fallen to 81kg this morning. (Think I should have dropped more if I control my mouth.) There are alot of good and delicious food in Malaysia/Singapore. So if any of you Sir or Dames visiting Malaysia/Singapore the next time, message me. Will recommend you all the delicious food. Hahahaha.

There are the figure at the start of my workout. And after a few months of grinding, shouting profanities, sweats, here comes the Half-Monty. The midterm exam to show whether did I improved or not. So after grinding out at the ramp, I pushed to my maximum and finally gave up at the last level. I have to stop and catch my breath and wait for the all important Constrained Effort. So I followed the instruction to the letter. (Having music helps alot. Distract me from the pain) Controlling the level mode and gear on my Kickr Bike to make sure my heart rate is at the assigned heart rate. So…to all noble Dame and Sir, here it is…after a few months of workout

I am super happy with these figure. Shows that my workout for the past few months are not wasted. I am aiming of raising my FTP to at least 200W and dropping my weight more. My next question is what plan should I choose. Should I continue with All-Purpose Road or Full Century. Even thought there is no mountains in Malaysia like those in Europe. But my friends and I were planning to travel to North America and Europe once the pandemic is over (please please please…be over soon). According to the description to Full Century, it seems to build up your stamina and incorporate some climbing into it. So it maybe my next plan. Welcome any recommendations for my next plan from all fellow Dame and Sir.

Thank you so much for reading my super long and nagging post. Just wanna wish everyone here to be safe and hope the pandemic is over soon so we can travel around the world and enjoy this great planet again. (To all doubters of this virus, please please wear a mask and sanitise your hands. If not for your self, do it for your loved ones. I had to undergo mandatory House Quarantine after coming close contact with a carrier for two weeks. Have to go through the PCR test on the 7 and 14 days after close contact. Lucky for me. I am tested negative. One of my family members have to get admitted into hospital after tested positive. Lost alot of weight and lung function is decreased 20%. And to those, who says that you can’t breathe with a mask on. I breathe just fine after a round of 18 holes golf while walking an carrying my golf set. So please please please take care of yourself for your loved ones).

Finally a big shout out to the Support Staff of Wahoo/Sufferfest, you all have been a great help. My enquires are answered prompt and all of them are resolved within the first two correspondence. Keep up the good work.

6 Likes

Firstly I want to commend you on your great results and discipline! Keep it up, consistency (over years) is key :+1:
I‘m no coach by any means, so take what I‘m saying with a grain of salt… if I was in your place (much time, lacking base fitness, well we actually share the latter :stuck_out_tongue:) i‘d do a novice plan that sounds fun to you and add as much low intensity (if .65 to .75) as you can manage without getting too fatigued
As for the drinking: i make sure to down 1bottle/hour on the trainer. When i do a early morning fasted ride, i often need 2 bottles for 1.5 hours

1 Like

That is one complete post !!!
Glad to see that all is working out for you, with some mishaps along the way that are there just so you learn :laughing:

Regarding next plans, I am a fan of the “All purpose road” training plan, it is a solid one.
You just need to make sure it is a plan you can recover from.
You might have 10 or 20 hours a week to train, but if you lack the base fitness to recover from those, we are in trouble.
The best plan, is one that almost feels too easy, but shows results.
When a plan feels “hard” and we grind it, usually it all falls downs a couple of weeks later on.

So, yeah, either contact a coach (if you have the means) or set up a plan for your level, and if you have more time available to train, add a “base building block” to it (or just ride outside in zone2).
Don’t forget Yoga and Strength, and most important, have fun!

Your progress makes me very happy ! I wish you all the best, keep it up, and keep us informed.
It’s inspiring !

1 Like

Thank you @Mowag and @pauloserra so much for taking time out for reading my super long (nagging) post.

I feel fine with the advance All Purpose Road plan. But sometimes feeling can be deceiving right? Haha. Always wanted to get the Whoop band to know how my body is doing. Unfortunately, it is unavailable at Asia. I am quite happy with the 30% increase on my FTP. Didn’t expect it to be honest.

After reading both your valuable feedbacks, is it correct for me to say that I should add on Base Block - Building Blocks on top of any plan I select (i.e. All-Purpose Road)in addition to the plan. Do correct me if I am wrong. Would it help me increase my stats by more than 30%. (Please dont tempt me…I am super greedy…hahahaha)

@pauloserra, I would love to have a custom plan but kind of splurge too much on the Wahoo Kickr Bike, the new bike and signed for the annual Sufferfest plan. Hahahaha. But I would definitely keep your feedback in mind.

This.
Or just ride outside unstructured for fun :scream:
Lastly you train exactly for that: Ride a random course (tt, race, personal challenge, sunday ride with friends) as fast/comfortable as possible.
I just come home from an „unstructured“ fun ride and I basically did „who dares“ . Hit a hill hard, settle into sub threshold, surge on steep parts, sprint over the top, recover on descend. Rinse and repeat 3-5 times, ride home in zone 2

1 Like

Thank you Sir for your clarification.

I wish to do it…but my government impose a 10km restrictions.

We are not allowed to travel more than 10km from our residence, and there are not much dedicated cycling lane near my residence. So I am stuck with Sufferfest for the time being (Thanks Sufferfest…LOVE Team Scream btw :crazy_face:).

Will definitely do some unstructured rides once the lockdown is lifted.

1 Like

If you want unstructured casual rides and don’t fancy zwift then you could try a 14 day free trial of FulGaz for some great scenic riding.

1 Like

will do Sir…will definitely give a FulGaz a try… Thanks for the recommendation

Hi everyone, just about to finish my 1st All-Pupose Road training plan.

Intend to dive straight in into my 2nd All-Purpose Road training plan after my 4DP.

The 1st workout in All-Purpose road is Recharger. It is classified under Recovery.

Just wanna ask is it advisable to use Recharger as a recovery plan the day after my 4DP or do I use some recovery workout (i.e. Recovery Spin) and proceed with Recharger (new training plan) after the recovery workout.

Thanks (sorry if my question sounds too confusing)

1 Like

@Fatboi Sure - Recharger should be fine. It is a good mix of spinning with some very slight pushes and it shouldn’t increase fatigue and probably helps to get some blood circulating to help repair and recover.

2 Likes

Thank you Sir for your prompt reply!!!

Duly noted!!!

:wink:

Just a quick update.

Today is the last day of my first All-Purpose Road and it is also the day for everyone’s favourite ( :face_vomiting:) activity. 4DP test. With the Euro 2020 and Tour (Crash) de France on right now, have been sleeping very late. Kind of worried that it may affect my performance. But what the heck, lets do this test!!!

I am able to pace properly this time. Somehow, using the experience from Half Monty, I use my heart rate to gauge my effort. On my 20min test, I push my effort in the heart zone range above the one stated on the app. i.e. The app show max 177bpm. I pushed myself towards the 180s range.

And voalá…

Happy that I made some progress. None of my section is flagged this time. So it is a valid and accurate result.

Somehow, my LTHR increased from 174 to 182. To all the wise Sir and Dames out there, is it a good thing to have an increased LTHR?

Enough said, time to rest, take a cup of protein shake, sleep and time to start my second All-Purpose Road plan tomorrow with the updated profile.

4 Likes

@Fatboi Congrats on the results. Here is a link to an overview on LTHR. An increase is good but note that the number can jump around a bit and it is also an estimate. You would need to go to a lab to get a more accurate reading.

https://thesufferfest.com/blogs/training-resources/everything-you-think-you-know-about-lthr-is-wrong

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

wanted to ask a question on Training plans but didn’t want to create too many posts. So I will just continue from this post.

Just completed my 4DP test today, I am happy that there is improvement (regardless of minor or major) on all 4 aspects.

Just wanna seek some valuable advice from all fellow citizens of sufferlandria about training plans.

1. From the first 4DP test to the most recent one I completed, the strength (sprinting) and weakness (sustained) have been the same. I have chosen All-Purpose Road all along. But what surprises me this time, is that in the new training plan. All the drills differ from the previous All-Purpose Road training plan I have done. Just wanna ask is this normal

2. After looking through the All-Purpose Road (kind of wanna throw up just by looking at it) there is a training plan which lasts 4 hour!!! Just wanna ask what should I do when I do that drill (e.g. eating snickers, energy gel).

Thank you so much

1 Like
  1. no idea
  2. my personal (!) approach: anything longer than 1.5 hours I use half ananas juice half water and a pinch of salt in my bottles (according to Nigel Mitchell just as good as any industrial stuff) and I start snacking about 45min in and then every 30min small amounts. If your gut is untrained, eat what you will eat during your events. Or if you ride just for fun, I‘d stay away from too much snickers-like stuff. Not from a fueling perspective but think about your teeth, assuming you are in cycling for the long game. Bananas, flap jacks, dates, toast, …
3 Likes