[Feature Request] Season structure to plans

Bringing into the SUF forum to see who might be interested; some of you may have seen it before :slight_smile:

I use the plans regularly, but they seem targetted towards set outcomes and don’t seem to follow the standard ‘base, build, specific’ formula used by most coaches.

I’d love to see you provide a complete season of plans designed to start after the off-season break and continue right through to the next one, covering base, build, specificity and in-season training. From my limited understanding, base and build are likely to be the same for almost all cycling disciplines, then people could choose road, time-trial, off-road (long, short, marathon) etc. as required, then as the race season hits pick a ‘maintenance’ plan to keep them in the optimum zone to get through things as strong as possible.

Anyone else who’d find this useful?

6 Likes

I am trying to use the building block programs to achieve the same effect

1 Like

I looked at that, but it’s 3-4 weeks at a time so a bit more work than selecting a simple plan. Not impossible, but also needs you to have more of an idea around training than just selecting ‘Base’ plan.
There are certainly ways of achieving this, but following a basic progression of suitable plans is much easier, especially for anyone new to structured training.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion @andy - for season long plans including off season training- I’ll make sure this concept makes it onto our wish list for future development so our SUF Science can consider this as they develop training plans going forward!

Cheers!

3 Likes

Great idea. I’ve been trying to workout how I’m going to structure my off season this year. I don’t have the time to dedicate the hours to doing vast base miles, and I’ve read the Suf article on why base might not be the right approach (https://thesufferfest.com/blogs/training-resources/dropping-lsd-why-base-training-doesnt-make-sense-for-time-crunched-athletes ) but I’m not sure repeating the advanced general road plan all year is a good idea either.

May be it’s a good one for the coaches to do an article on?

2 Likes

Interested in this as well.
I finished my “covid non-season” in October and have been enjoying some gravel time for leisure and semi training in last 4 weeks. I also took a full week off with some hiking trips instead. Now I’m ready to start and did the 4DP test and elected to go with a 4 week of Base Block with yoga and strength but find it completely too easy.
I thought that the Sufferfest was all about abandoning the traditional “base” and reworking it into lower volume but with couple of days of intensity but that’s not what Base Block turns out to be. The workouts struggle to get me to Tempo intensity at the peaks of power within workouts. I was literally falling asleep yesterday doing “Thin Air” workout at prescribed “downgraded” levels of resistance.
Should I be switching to the 12 week road plan instead?
Is there some comprehensive plan that tackles the first month after the the “time off” after completed season? I don’t feel like Base Block plan is getting me anywhere near maintenance of my current fitness.