From the Coaches: Winter Cycling Tips

Windslows might allow you to do what @CPT_A does. I can’t on my mobile due to restrictions on what applications can use ‘mini-player’ mode. But I’m thinking a YouTube video could meet the need. Haven’t tried it.

2 Likes

OK, think I’m getting it. I just checked out the mini-player info. Sounds like I should find a video first and get that going (like one of the Col Collective videos on You tube) then set up my workout in mini-player mode so it will be overlayed. Looking forward to trying it.

2 Likes

The order of operations is not important. The Mini Player will sit on top of whatever other applications you have open - you can’t hide it when SYSTM is in this mode.

2 Likes

My setup (IT Nerd here :nerd_face:) is probably overkill, but it works nice for me :wink:

The trainer and bike sit in front of a cupboard. On there I’m running two 24” Desktop Monitors. The left one runs on a ROKU for Netflix and such, the right one connects to my iPad mini for all training related stuff.

That way I’m entertained at home, but can “bring my setup” to a hotel or gym without changing too much. As my setup is basically the iPad mini and my HR Strap/Stryd.

That said, a lot of my coworkers use less gear for home office stuff than I do twice a week for cycling :wink:

3 Likes

You know about the phrase “I’ve forgotten more than you know” applies here. I completely forgot about the Mini-Player modes ability to ‘float’ on top of anything on the screen!

3 Likes

:nerd_face: :nerd_face: :nerd_face:

#nerdsunite

3 Likes

Couple of things from my experience.

It’s best if jackets/shells/vests don’t have any wind blocking in the back. This helps let sweat out and prevents billowing if you unzip a bit to prevent overheating.

Two wind blocking layers are way way better than one. In the coldest temps I’ve ridden I’d wear a wind blocking vest under a wind blocking jacket. The vest has a mesh back and the jacket a fully permeable knit back.

There’s a lot of heat loss through the head so keeping your head warm can help keep your hands and feet warm.

For freezing and below, I’d warm up with some calisthenics to the point of just breaking a sweat. This got the blood flowing to my hands and feet. As long as I kept going at a good level of effort, I’d remain warm and comfortable. Once the hands and feet start to get cold, blood flow to them decreases and they get colder, starting a vicious cycle.

Others have said this already, but stopping for a while once warmed up can start me getting chilled from which I can’t recover. Best to plan a ride where I can keep going at a good level of effort until the end.

4 Likes

Did the “festive 500”. Completed it with 1 day to spare😎. Wanted to do as much of it the “proper” way, I.e. outdoors but was flexible enough to repair indoor for a 80k session on the trainer when the uk rain and especially the wind got a little too much one day. Good advise about the kit and fuelling strategy although here the temperatures have been unseasonably (is that even a thing still) mild so the main risk was to overheat!

4 Likes

“Be bold, start cold” is a mantra that has saved me many times. Of course, have some spare gear with you in the event you’re too bold, as I frequently am. A few years ago, I did a 30-mile commute in -20 F temps the day after a snowstorm. Many of the paths were not plowed yet, but my skinny tires on MTB rims were able to pizza cutter through the snow and find traction. I agree with all those mentioning studded tires - they are a life saver.

2 Likes