The Lost Art of Winter Cycling - Outside Online

From Outside - Online: The Lost Art of Winter Cycling

2 Likes

I used to be a four-season bike commuter, driving only when temps dropped into the single digits F. I also used to fly helicopters off tiny, bobbing flight decks in the middle of the ocean. At night. In the weather. In high seas.

Point is, I used to do a lot of crazy things. Now, I ride in my basement during the coldest months and I fly big, comfy jets that land on actual land. Iā€™ll take now over then any day of the week.

10 Likes

@AlexEllermann Seems like you have already checked the risky endeavors boxes in life!

I still MTB in the winter using studded tires but also try to Nordic ski when the conditions are there. Winter riding can be fun on a MTB. Not sure I would feel the same on a road bike - especially with the higher wind speed and also the potential for ice.

For me training indoors isnā€™t always about comfort - sometimes it is just convenient to get a session in without having to do a lot of prep.

2 Likes

Yeah, when I was younger, riding on frozen puddles was fun, now I am Systmized, the good old days are past :rofl:

3 Likes

Nordic skiing is on my ā€œthings to tryā€ list for this winter. Iā€™m looking forward to it!

2 Likes

Please use good tires, helmet and a slower pace during the winter. I work as a MD in orthopedic emergency and last Friday I met three or four cyclists with injuries that will take months to healā€¦
I therefore hope that I donā€™t meet any Sufferlandrians at work!

6 Likes

More likely to see segments of road needing emergency surgery to repair if a Sufferlandrian crashes on it.

6 Likes

I did gear up today and head out in the low 40s F. It was beautiful!

3 Likes

If roads are dry and it is above 20 I will ride outdoors a few times a week with my group and do system for the formal workouts. We meet at 4:45am so riding in the dark is the norm for the majority of the year but fun with a group. Every week is different so it stays fresh.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve ridden on ice. Yes, ICE. on Bridges. Thereā€™s a technique to doing so and it involves going slow and no rapid movements. Of course, itā€™s not fun, but it teaches you balance skillz you can use in the Summer when you hit sand and the Fall when you hit wet leaves. Is this recommended? Not in the least. Is if fun when you do it on grass? Yep. Soft (uff) ground.

1 Like

@jmckenzieKOS Studded tires are the way to go in the winter - great traction on ice even when doing circles on a frozen body of water.

2 Likes

The issue is finding them and then getting them mounted. I can count the number of days I have to worry about ice each year on one hand. Then itā€™s usually not a good idea to be riding here anyway. I agree though that studded tires are a great idea if you are going to be riding quite a bit on icy or snowy roads.

1 Like

Right on!

But you live in Tucson!?

@Sir_Brian_M Yes, I do. and we get SNOW and ICE in certain locations (like our local Mountain that gets shut down at least a half-dozen times a year). And on New Yearā€™s Day, I did the Loop ride with ice on the bridges and snow on the side of the path. It was quite the show. Take that we donā€™t live in snow and ice for days, but the County has started spraying the bridges with ā€˜liquidā€™ salt. We take a strong stance on stupid. Thereā€™s enough without the Wintery stuff! (Yes, we get all sorts of bicycle versus motorist issues here.