FTP MAP Blocks w/ Strength

I’ve just come off about a 3 month winter strength training program and have started the 4 week FTP Building Block Routine. I plan on following that with the 4 week MAP Building Block Routine, which will likely get me to warmer weather when some of my riding will move back outside.

I don’t want to lose all of the strength gains I’ve made over the winter, so I’d like to include 1-2 days of total body (or 1 total body and 1 upper body) day each week. My question is on what days should I be shooting to do the strength training. I don’t want to find myself in a position where my legs are shot from the day before when I go into a harder bike session.

Thanks.

Naively, I would think you would want to do the MAP before the FTP. Since MAP is the limiter to the FTP would you not want to do the MAP block first?

2 Likes

In hindsight, you may be correct. However, my thought was that the FTP seemed to be slightly more base/endurance oriented, so I thought the FTP block may allow me to increase my general fitness a little bit more before jumping into what I perceived to be a little more intense MAP block. Especially considering I’ve been on the bike less over the last few months.