Full Frontal results after ToS

For me, I’m 1-2% down on FTP and MAP. Now initially I thought that was a bit ‘meh’, but on reflection I’m pretty happy. Bear with me. I finished my last training plan (TT) pretty happy as I felt my FTP had improved. I messed up FF at that point but HM had me at 279w. I then had 2 weeks of base, a taper week, ToS and then 2 weeks post ToS. So including the taper week at the end of the plan, I’ve had 7 weeks only one serious training week and only dropped a couple of percent. I feel that puts me in a great position to start working on the next plan.

2 Likes

I tried to do this and today was the first day I gave into my urge to just quit. I made it 23 minutes in, a minute and a half into the MAP block. Part of it was that I added a rocker plate and I could tell my sprint was worse and it was immediately demoralizing.

I felt really tough during and immediately after TOS and this past two weeks of rest has felt terrible. I wish I could have taken it right after. I’ve gained weight, had digestive issues, just been repulsively lazy.

I might manually fiddle with my numbers or try to do Half Monty tomorrow, then do a shorter training block and try again. Or I might just do the full century plan on my current numbers. My most pressing issue at the moment is weight loss, and my diet went off the rails for the tour, so I need a while to focus on getting my act together again. :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

There’s a lot of discussion on this in different threads. Here’s a comment from Coach Mac.

I’ve had your same experiences. The All-Purpose Road plan did a great job of bringing up my AC and MAP, but my FTP stayed the same. I switched to the Metric Century Plan which included a lot more endurance and Z2 riding, and again, my AC and MAP came up some more, but my FTP stayed the same. Tho the results did vary between HM and FF. I consistently get a 20w higher FTP when doing HM instead of FF.

You can always do the 4 week Building Blocks: FTP Block plan. Or the Time Trial plan. Or the Century Plan. Something that focuses on longer rides. But like you said, genes are genes and maybe we’re meant to be Pursuit riders rather than diesel engines. :man_shrugging:

You could also try riding Cobbler 2 or 3 times a week and see where all the sweet spot training gets you. :grin:

Some of the plans (like the Century Plans) include both indoor and outdoor riding. You do your shorter focused sessions indoors and then do 2 longer rides outside.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. After browsing through forum (maybe I should have started there…) I came across the comments from Coach Mac and others reporting similar experiences. I’ll probably try the 3-week FTP block or the 6-week Power Builder.

I find it interesting (and reassuring) that there seem to be a fair number of Pursuiters out there. In their book about training with a power meter, Allen and Coggan seem to imply that Pursuit is a rare profile and that perhaps you’re really a Rouleur who just malingered in the 20 minute effort.

1 Like

Apparently the stars are not in my favor – after gearing up to do FF again today, my trainer tire blew out. :frowning:

I had a COVID vaccine during the tour and I had trouble finishing the stage the next day. It was the hardest stage of the whole thing for me. Try the FF in a few days when your are recovered from the vaccine.

2 Likes

I did my full frontal test today and I’m perplexed by my results. It would be great to get some insights about what might be causing the decreases in the short duration numbers.

5 sec: 428 down from 447 ( it was 561 in June)
1 min: 293 down from 311 (down from a high of 321 in sept.)
5 min: 216 up from 215 in December
FTP: 184 up from 169 in December

Maybe a little about me could help. I’m a 63 year old female and started training consistently with Sufferfest about 1 year ago. I had a false start of inconsistent training in 2019 after 10 years completely off the bike.
I have a low end smart trainer. Cyclops magnus. Sometimes it seems to have trouble keeping up with the sprint numbers. Last December I started sprinting early to get it going but my highest numbers were before the interval actually started. This time I put it in a harder gear and that didn’t help at all. Should I just practice the sprints in the FF until I figure out how to get it right?
Or could it be that I just can’t sprint well? I feel way stronger than I did in June so I just don’t understand my lack of improvement. Any insights are appreciated.

1 Like

Well done to all FFs

This is my 2nd FF and I must say it seems quite ceremonial. There are guides, video guides, likely hundreds of posts, advice galore → all very cool, but I found it also created an unexpected anxiety runway of sorts too. I guess it makes sense, as we all want to test better than last time!

This time round I didn’t quite follow the official FF pre-week plan, I kept procrastinating a little and in the end just had to jump on and get it done.

Results:

5s: 677 → 835 (23%)
1m: 314 → 327 (4%)
5m: 230 → 262 (14%)
FTP: 188 → 216 (15%)

Rider type changed from Rouler->Sprinter

I’m very new to the trainer/bike, it’s nice to see such large gains at the start of a new endeavour :slight_smile: oh crap, I just upped my suffering by 15% - 20% !!

Ah well, looking forward to retesting after a 3/4 week MAP block.

2 Likes

I would look on this as a good sign, you have the power to shred a tire!

1 Like

Post ToS2021 4DP assessment.
Never felt so good and strong during a Full-Frontal 4DP. Knew during each single effort that I will improve. All 4 metrics clearly increased.
Nailed all preparations. Even if the outcome wouldn’t have been so good I would have been satisfied cos I was feeling great and knew I have everything. There was no holding back.

Peak power: +72w
1 minute power: +33w
5 minute power: +8w
FTP: +19w

New All-Time best 5 min power
New All-Time best 20 min power

1 Like

That’s a good reframing. :slight_smile:
Fortunately, we have a sudden 3-4 days of warm weather starting tomorrow, so I have a nice week of outdoor riding/intervals to look forward to before aiming to start FF yet again on Saturday – then I’ll roll into a new plan with my updated? rider type.

@Sharonhill Great improvement on FTP and MAP! For the 5 second test, I generally get to a gear/level that equals my FTP watts at a cadence around 80 to 90 right before the test starts. Then I quickly bring up my cadence as much as possible. The Shovel or Violator have similar style reps - especially when done in level mode. Also Cadence Builds is great for working on leg leg speed. I approach the 1 minute in a similar way but in a slightly easier gear/level. I start strong, try to hold on and then just give it everything I have left at the end. It doesn’t always work as planned - especially since it is as the end of FF - but with some additional practice and focus my numbers have improved.

1 Like

Yup, being a noob, back on the bike after a long absence the ONLY fun of FF are the relatively bigger % jumps. I would imagine the gains get smaller and smaller as your fitness progresses.

#sadface

After completing FF twice now, I’m still trying to decide if it’s a good or bad thing that all of my badass power records come from my FF tests (minus the hour, which is and remains Team Scream).

:grimacing:

2 Likes

Went for a nice ride in 30s-40s (deg F) on Sunday and decided that I am going to take another week for the Full Frontal / HM double test week and then start the training plan I had planned.
I just know that the FF test I did on Saturday wasn’t a proper representation.
I must suffer properly.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I’ll practice using your tips and see where I land next time.

One hour is team Scream for me as well. Have to check the other metrics. But from memory I know it wasn’t always 4DP.

Increased numbers all around, (FF #5) so good news there…now gonna jump on a 3 week MAP plan.

Hopefully, by the time that’s done, the weather will be good enough to get the bike outside!

:smiley:

My full frontal after ToS finally showed me I’m Climber. I’ve been to Rouleur, Pursuiter and Attacker before, but being a climber is the best fit for me. With my weight, I can’t be anyone else :slight_smile:

I love the taste of blood in my mouth… With my shoulder being OK-ish again, FINALLY I got around to do my second FF. Although prep going into it was less optimal than if I had been able to do it when I had it scheduled, still I managed pretty well i think. Had hoped for slightly higher for FTP and MAP, but that was how I was able to perform just now.

A couple of barriers broken (which basically is just going beyond some erandom round-ish numbers); NM exceeding 1400W and FTP now above 4 W/kg. MAP and AC also getting above certain targets.
FTP +5.1%
MAP +3.9%
AC +7.4%
NM +7.3%

Still Time Triallist with sustained effort strength, and sustained weakness :man_shrugging:

3 Likes