Garmin heart rate monitor

Hi … my garmin heart rate monitor will not connect to my wahoo systm account. Has anyone else seen similar issues and found a work around

Shaun

1 Like

Search garmin HRM in the forums and you’ll see you’re not alone.

How are you connecting? Bluetooth? Ant+. How are you trying to use SYSTM? iOS, windows, Max, Android?

Maybe check this out:

1 Like

Hi…

Connecting bluetooth to systm on a MacBook Pro… my cadence sensor also garmin connected fine. Maybe I should invest in a wahoo one….

I hate to toss otherwise perfectly good tech. I’d try the troubleshooting steps first. With Bluetooth, you might find other apps are trying to grab the connection if they haven’t already stolen it. Most Bluetooth devices only allow for one connection so you’ll wanna be sure your phone, or a tablet aren’t nabbing it. Or a watch if you have one. Or, another app on the Mac like Zwift or Rouvy or whatever else may not want to let the connection go.

What had you been connecting the HRM to via Bluetooth before?

Hi… just looking at the spec of my garmin HRM-Tri it only connects via ANT+ so this is probably the issue as my Mac has no ANT+ connection capability unless i buy an ANT+ usb stick …. Been using the HRM on my forerunner 945 and Edge 1030plus … so i wont through it away but looks like a need a Bluetooth one for my Kickr pain cave …. Thanks for the help …

2 Likes

Happy to help. The new HRMs are all dual broadcast now so you’ll be good for SYSTM, your watch and your head unit. I do like the Wahoo Tickr (I’ve got a Tickr, TickrX and Tickr2) and they’ve all been pretty reliable. Ymmv and others will swear by other brands.

If you decide not to get a new one, an Ant+ USB dongle and an extension cord to bring the dongle closer to you and your HRM is a pretty inexpensive solution.

2 Likes

It’s interesting that one of the first devices created by Wahoo was an ANT+ dongle. One thing I will caution is that most newer Macs use USB-C for connection. Most Dongles use USB-B (that big connector). You will need an adapter to connect them. You can get a converter cable on Amazon for about 19 USD and a dongle for about 39 USD. Much less expensive than a new HRM. BTW, my Garmin HRM, which is about 10 years old, is working just fine, but I use a Bluetooth only device and I have a TICKR which is doing well (the original strap broke at the connector so I had to get a replacement strap which works better and is better constructed).

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback …. I will get a new HRM from WAhoo and use it only with the KickR … i will keep the garmin one for outside rides …

2 Likes

Hi @Glen.Coutts ! I’m finding this thread very insightful! If I could ask your opinion-
I have a Wahoo TICKR which seems to connect fine with my ELEMNT Bolt (used for outdoor rides only) and with my Kurt Kinetic app on my phone (used for checking trainer “calibration” and as a “backup” if I want to record when I can’t use SYSTM or Sufferfest. Anyway, the HRM will connect fine to both of those. I have an ANT+ dongle and the computer has bluetooth capability. The SYSTM app shows both are on, but the TICKR is not on the list. ANy quick tips? THank you very much if you have an idea for it!!

1 Like

@jackriddle2 it should be as simple as adding it to the list on the add devices screen when you open a workout. If it’s not showing up it most likely that another one of your apps has “stolen” the Bluetooth connection to it.

I assume you know how to add devices but if not there is this helpful article

Or if you want to add it via ant+ you can look at this (basically the same steps)

If another app has stolen the connection you’ll have to make sure all those apps are closed before connecting to SYSTM.

Edit: since you’re using SYSTM on your computer, you might want to try turning Bluetooth off on your phone until you’ve added your Tickr and all is well.

Thank you!
Yeah, I have followed those directions. I did have the same thoguht this morning to try turning off phone Bluetooth and even removing the Wahoo cadence sensor on my trainer, just to remove Bluetooth “distractions”. I sure hope I can use Bluetooth on the phone though. I did switch to wireless earbuds last year and really preferred that to the wired kind, for my music. THx and Happy New Year!

1 Like

Def try turning off Bluetooth on your phone first. Let us know how you make out. Also, don’t underestimate the value of a fresh battery.

EDIT: you should be able to use your wireless buds on your phone, after you make sure your sensors are connected to your computer.

2 Likes

So I turned off phone bluetooth, Wifi too; stopped broadcast on my Whoop strap (OK, I had already done that previously). Then I saw that a “heartrate” was available to select as a sensor via ANT+. It was not labelled as “TICKR” but it had to be the TICKR. I picked that and it worked fine; I was then also able to resume playing music via Bluetooth. The TICKR also continued to pop in and out of the bluetooth sensor list as an option. I don’t know why the bluetooth was still inconsistent but it doesn’t matter at the moment, it worked via ANT+. Thanks for your help!

1 Like

The solution for me was to buy a Wahoo TICKR HR strap. I was working around the Garmin/iOS/Wahoo compatibility issue by using an old iPad, per someone else’s suggestion. I no longer have that iPad, so the problem cropped up again. I ordered a Wahoo TICKR on Amazon, and just rec’d it 30 min ago. Just tried it for a only few minutes, and it worked. I had to connect the TICKR to the Wahoo Fitness app using the connection Wizard, not Automatic method, to get it to report bpm. I’ve seen other comments saying their Tickr reported the wrong bpm. I rode on the Kickr for just 3-4min, but the TICKR reported the same bpm as my Apple watch, so accurate. Will amend this comment after a few days to note whether the connection is reliable.

UPDATE: After about 5-6 weeks, I can confirm the TICKR HR strap connects and works reliably and accurately every time I use SYSTM. BPM matches the Apple Watch on my wrist. For consistency I no longer use the Garmin HT-Dual strap on outside rides either, though I still have it as a backup.

3 Likes