Getting old with health issues

I see no reason this couldn’t be built into a default age scaling of plans. It would be better than no age scaling at all, which is what we have now.

So how do you determine the trigger points on a linear scale for recovery, NM efforts, etc.? Your presumably want to mix and match.

Thanks I am going to give it a try.

1 Like

I’m not the guy to ask. I’m confident that the very knowledgeable and experienced training staff at wahooX could come up with a good systm for adapting plans for aged athletes.

I am not so sanguine.

I think that the problem here is that as we age, different performance-related aspects improve or deteriorate in such a way that chronological age is only weakly correlated with training potential across individuals. Even for a given person, there are different relative strengths, including some not captured by 4DP.

The most important exercise I get cycling, which is pretty much absent from indoor training, is the cognitive stimulation that comes from mixed urban/suburban/rural road biking where inattention means pain, ER visits, disability and possibly death. I used to lead club rides of 50-100 miles, and do longer rides with a group of guys 20 years older than me - it was striking to see the cognitive superiority of older cyclists compared to my parents and my friends’ parents the same age. Not sure if is the exercise improving the brain, the constant stimulation improving the brain, or maybe just that less cognitively able people either quit or get crunched by cars by the time they are in their 60s.

Once you are over 40, age is really just an extremely rough guideline to where you are. People diverge too much for a simple single age-adjusted adaptation to be really effective.

6 Likes

Agree, and that’s already been said multiple times, including by me. IMO, a single/simple age adjustment would be better than none at all, which is what we have. That said, I believe it possible to do better than that given the knowledge, expertise and data that exists at Wahoo.

2 Likes

This is the best statistically subjective writing I’ve read all day :joy:
It’s why most of my riding is indoors on the trainer. :thinking:

Wanting to maintain my cognitive (and overall fitness obviously) is one of my biggest motivations for using Sufferfest. I too see the difference between older cyclists and older do nothing’s. I never want to be the latter.

Perhaps we current users will Provide the end data for a future systm where in ability changes due to age are estimated according to Rider type, gender, age etcetc.

6 Likes

@Saddlesaur Please
Tell me there is a way to adjust the plan without having to move each workout manually! I’ve been trying to do the same as you, but am frustrated.

1 Like

And so SYSTM becomes Westworld. We users think we’re getting a service, but what we’re really doing is providing Wahoo with a valuable aggregate data set.

Of course, unlike in Westworld, we know Grunter is trying to kill us.

4 Likes

There is a way! Note the ending date of your current plan. Delete the plan. All completed workouts will remain on your calendar. Load the plan again putting out the ending date by one (or more) days. The rest of the workouts will appear on your calendar moved out by that day.

6 Likes

Ooh! That is fantastic!!! You are my new hero, @Saddlesaur :heart::heart:

I had thought about doing that a few times but didn’t as I worried that it would load the full plan again.

2 Likes

It only loads the upcoming workouts, not the ones that would have occurred in the past. All the ones you completed remain on your calendar.

You can always load, delete, reload plans. If I want to see what a specific plan looks like, I’ll load it at a time that’s clear in my calendar, say a year in the future, and check it out, then delete it.

1 Like

Great info, @Saddlesaur, I would just point out that you can preview any plan standalone, in-calendar, before you “officially” select it.

(iOS, but the button is there in all platforms).

Thanks for pointing that out. I use the Windows app and when I select Preview Plan I get a page that shows the summary info. I hadn’t noticed that toward the bottom of that page in tiny blue font it says “View Schedule”. That does the trick. Easier than loading to the calendar and then deleting it.

2 Likes

You can also view your calendar on the website.

And Dame @IsiSchneider_KoS is not dead yet either! It’s a good day!

2 Likes

erm… yeah, but in January 2020 it was pretty close :flushed:

3 Likes

We’re glad you’re here Bayerische!

1 Like