Grrr... Sprinter Profile Half Monty MAP + FTP vs Full Frontal

@emacdoug Interesting - I have never thought about it that way but that is probably similar for me.

2 Likes

I think my problem sits somewhere near there but also in my head…

I’m a bull, or a puppy dog with a toy to chase. If I can see the target then I can hit it…
NM and AC are super easy because they’re short, so it’s just flat out and leave it all there, that’s easy to do. MAP is easier than FTP because it’s 5 minutes, FTP at 20 is really hard to judge what you can maintain, I’d probably do better if someone else was setting an ERG target for me just for knowing what I needed to do…
That said, I like lots of short targets, I could probably hit a higher average power over 20 minutes riding a Norway like ride than just riding a settled average FTP power because the constant changes are mental stimulation and easier to focus on.

3 Likes

The gear change was also something I noticed on my FF on Saturday night, A lower gear had me just below my old FTP 194 I’m only 53kgs and the next gear up was close to 20/25 watts higher at about 220 but sustaining that for 20 mins was just too much, I could hold it for a minute or 2 but then dropped off so instead I tried to hold about 10/15 watts higher and my new ftp came in at 207 which I was really pleased with. For me a jump of 13 watts is massive for my FTP maybe not so much to others.

3 Likes

@Shaned1972 Look at the change in watts per kilo - it jumped from about 3.66 to 3.9 so a 6.5% improvement - very nice!

2 Likes

@JSampson Can you see my 4DP profile ? I just wonder you see I’m still seeing my FTP at 3.63 but I put my weight as 57.3 on Thursday but I’m pretty sure I’m only 55 kgs but I dont think if you do a FF at one weight if you change it afterwards it doesn’t matter it stays at the weight you were at the time of the FF

I fell fowl of that. Did a FF, then updated my weight.

Really annoyed and of of changed the weight first, if have my target recorded and achieved, now it’s just a vague memory I have to remind myself of.

Note to minions, a smarter graph showing changes in key metrics over time would be good

1 Like

Sounds like a plan, obviously if your doing a FF every 3 months or longer for some of us you could easily put on weight or lose it so it would be good if you could change it and the app would update your profile

I’d lost 5 kilos during the plan that ended with that FF, I was really pleased with myself, but the app didn’t recognise it. User fail. :rofl:

Hmmm…. Could be a good argument for using a narrow range cassette over an MTB wide range cassette in the trainer for those of use with 1x set ups.

Starting a new 12 week plan this week - this week won’t be a good test of the new numbers - rest day, cadence builds, inspiration/recovery ride; Violator in level mode…

1 Like

@Shaned1972 Nope - did the math at 53kg.

1 Like

Ah unfortunately had too many scoops of honeycombe ice cream since last year :rofl::rofl: now 55

2 Likes

I can completely relate to this right here

Just completed HM. Unbelievably frustrated I didn’t hit my previous HM numbers from 13 weeks ago. I’m doing something wrong and I can’t figure it out. I rarely miss a workout on the plans I’ve been following and don’t usually move things around. MAP +4, FTP +3, cTHR +4 bpm from FF 7 weeks ago. Whoop score was only a 13. Legs gave out sooner than usual on the ramp and cramped up.

1 Like

Sometimes we all have a bad day when things just don’t go the way we want you have increased others though and surely that’s a bit of positivity for you. Sometimes even though we are following a plan our legs just aren’t there, even if we feel good before we start but when we need our legs to kick up a gear later on there just is nothing left. Frustrating yes but not the end of the world.

Trying to re-frame this way. This year has been challenging (avg race speed 2mph slower! + Strava fitness score has never hit levels from 2 years ago). At least The Trick won’t be impossible to complete in 2 days.

1 Like