Helmet suggestions

I am thinking about replacing my helmet. Until now, I have been using a Mavic Ksyrium Pro MIPS. It ticked all the boxes when I bought it in the first place. But I am considering replacing it with one that suits me even better.
The minimum features the helmet must have for me are:

• MIPS
  • Lightweight
  • Anti-insect net

Does anyone of you know any helmets which tick those boxes too? The only one I found so far is the Ekoï Gara, which can be equipped with a separately available anti-insect net and comes in a MIPS edition. What I like about the Gara in comparison to the Ksyrium is that it has a much sleeker design. The Ksyrium looks a bit bulky.
I also really like the idea of getting more aero. But only if it’s really very well ventilated. I actually like the concept of the additional Aeroshield for Lazer helmets. Thus I could opt to go areo or cooled which seems like a great versatility. But Lazer helmets don’t come with an anti-insect net.

Hi, I don’t know one helmet that would tick all the boxes, e.g rudy project has helmets with mesh (Venger/ spectrum, but no mips, but claim to have rotational impact testing criteria, I’m no expert so can’t say if that’s equivalent. other one I use is Casco speedairo, but again no mips. Those are the ones I know for road with Mesh.

Hope you find one that suits your needs.

1 Like

This might be of some help:

3 Likes

Thank you, @Heretic. It’s a good resource for searching for a helmet, though pretty dated. Unfortunately, there’s no currently available helmet with a mesh in it. The only one I spot is the rather old Rudy Project Racemaster I had used before my current helmet.

1 Like

Interesting. I have used it in the past, and it does say 2022 edition on the top of the page.

1 Like

I didn’t even know “anti-insect mesh” was a thing, but I know the Met MIPS helmets are high-rated and have a “skullcap” kind of thing w their MIPS that might work.

1 Like

I opted for the Ekoï Gara MIPS today with the additional mesh insert. In addition, they had a discount today, so I could even personalize it (a little bling never hurts). Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions.

3 Likes

Limar have a super light helmet that comes with a bug net, although no MIPS

1 Like

Do you buy that insert as a separate item? Like @CPT_A I’d never heard of an insect mesh specifically in bike helmets before, but I need one and was on the verge of buying a more enclosed helmet for that very reason (but also get hot and want ventilation).

Yes, I did order the anti-insect mesh as an extra item. Actually, it just replaces the original padding. In the case of the Ekoï helmet you may find it here. In the case of Mavic helmets, they are presented here. With my older Rudy Project helmet it worked the same way, but that is not sold any longer. You just need to make sure, the padding is the one for the helmet you have, because it must fit to the ventilation pattern of the helmet. I hope it is ok to post the links here. I am not affiliated with any of the mentioned brands.

1 Like

Thank you