Hitting new power zones

Can someone help? I started a few months back doing the 4DP test to set my base. A couple of weeks ago I did the Half Monty and my FTP improved. I was happy!
My problems is that now I cannot hold my power zones in the Sustained Effort training videos, what do I do? Why is that? I was enthusiastic about my new FTP but now I am totally confused and disappointed. I’ve tried doing four different videos at different times and still I cannot complete them.
Thank you

You might want to check out this thread where Coach Sir Mac has a few things to say about it. 4DP vs Half Monty results - #3 by Coach.Mac.C

3 Likes

When you have fresh new numbers, workouts get hard again. Do what you can to hit those targets. After a few weeks things will get easier. Then you’ll retest and numbers will be up some more.

You might find Sustained efforts are your weakness. Are you doing a plan? Because it’ll target that weakness so things feel very hard at first on new numbers. I think typically the first 2 blocks feel awful on new numbers, then block 3 feels better but fatigue is accumulating by then. Most plans have a big taper at the end of the 3rd block, so you’ll be well set up to retest again then. Trust the plan!

There’s also a small chance that the HM was incorrect. I’ve done it once when not feeling too great, resulting in a massive overestimation of cHRT. There was a weird heart rate development throughout the ramp part: it peaked and went down whilst I was still building up the ramp and increasing the effort.
My FTP ended up 12% higher but the workouts were impossible after that. Retesting later showed that it was indeed overestimated.

1 Like

It sounds like your FTP result from HM is overstated. You could simply manually set your FTP to split the difference between your old and new numbers. The result would be a bit arbitrary, but a good compromise helping you to work harder but still be able to complete the workouts.

1 Like

I agree with the Coach Mac’s blog post. I am also profiled as an Attacker, and Half Monty gave me a huge jump in my FTP, but my sustain power is my weakness. I also agree with following a plan to target your weakness, which may be sustain power. Hopefully after 12 weeks of training to improve that system you will see good improvement after completing a concluding Full Frontal Test. Happy Training!