Internally routed cables

What is your location?

Southend on sea Essex. I have lived here all my life and seen it decline. It used to be a wonderful town (now City). Now full of homeless, druggies, crime and murdersā€¦

I have a great bike lock, Dlock and cable, all kevlar reinforced and weighs almost the same as my bike. I think it is gold gradedā€¦aka a London bike thief will take under 7 minutes to crack it, but thatā€™s better than under 10 seconds

Our unsofisticated NZ thieves tend to just have bolt cutters. I quite enjoyed encountering one trying to nab my mateā€™s bike locked with the lock. First he broke his bolt cutters. He then pulled out an angle grinder and shattered the blade on the D lock. The blade sliced him up pretty bad too. Karma. The lock still 100% intact with a few minor munch marks.

3 Likes

But Iā€™m stull careful in NZ. I lock my bike to my tent and a solid object when bikepacking. And I just ask if I can take my bike into a shop. If they say no, I ask if I can lock it up where the person on the till can see it. Never been denied yet.

1 Like

ā€œBetter to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.ā€ In the situations where I felt I needed to bring the bike in, including restocking food/drink at a bodega or grocery store, I just did, and never got kicked out. Had I asked, they likely would have said no.

5 Likes

Tucson, Arizona, United States. Just for the record we have a coffee stop that happens after a World Famous Speed ride (The Shootout anyone?) where several high and low end (including a set of e-bikes) were stolen. One of the actors was caught leaving and received a stern warning not to come back (with a little physical encouragement as well). Since then the number of thefts dropped dramatically.

3 Likes