Is the United Kingdom the most knighted of Nations per Capita?

Looks like 500 or so British Knights and Dames vs 600 or so American fellow KoS. Any thoughts on why this might be?

The US has a lot of couchlandrians. I can barely turn around without hitting at least ten over here.

3 Likes

I think there was a queue for knighthood at one point, and all the brits got in line and waited patiently, the Americans sat down ate some donuts and went to couchlandria…

5 Likes

So you inspired me to do a bit of analysis…

18 Likes

That is an utterly fabulous graph!!! Kinda loving that NZ is well up there! :grin:

2 Likes

This is an awesome graph, go Lichtenstein! That was kept well under the radar. Can anyone do the same for donut :doughnut: consumption vs KoS I wonder

2 Likes

I have tried, but failed, to find donut consumption data by country… except that I have learnt that Canadians consume the most donuts per capita in the world!

5 Likes

Love that my single Knightood makes Portugal not dead last :laughing:

Benefits of a small/less populated country!!

Liechtenstein is also only 1 Knight, right ?

7 Likes

That’s right!

I considered adding confidence intervals but it just looked ridiculous :joy:

3 Likes

That’s very funny. I did the maths and checked that 1 Knight in a population of 38000 translates to 26 per million.

I notice that the graph (with the exception of Liechtenstein) is heavily weighted towards English speaking countries.

3 Likes

This spurs motivation for me… well done. (from the USA)

As the only Northern Irish knight, we should be up there in the top 10 - 1 per 1.8 million :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes, well, ahem… I got the population data from Worldometer which includes Northern Ireland and Scotland in the UK, so I combined them. I was hoping nobody would notice. I plead ignorance about UK politics! (at least I didn’t combine it with Ireland :crazy_face:)

Having said that, I think Northern Ireland would still only come in at 19th if it was treated separately.

1 Like

Uh oh. Better complete my assault on the gates before NZ overtakes Canada!!

Do double Knighthoods count?! :thinking:

1 Like

New Zealand and Canada, locked in a bitter, ceaseless, but unfailingly polite battle over who can ride their bike a whole bunch. Hard-pressed to find a better way to describe our countries than that.

7 Likes

Just wait till you see the map of our national doughnut supplier locations, dotted across the country. Fur trading companies are out - Tim Horton’s has conquered the place! :scream:

3 Likes

BLASPHEMY! But I totally understand from a “not having a massive graph perspective”. Scotland on the other hand might have a bit of an edge on us re: per capita. Us Northern folk are a hardy lot of Sufferlandrians. Eating meat out of a sheep’s stomach or distilling our own whiskey…

1 Like

I can verify that data.

1 Like