Upcoming Knighthood Attempt - Technicalities Inquiry

Wanted to confirm a couple of things I’ve seen via unofficial channels before my attempt at storming the castle. Apologies in advanced if these are commonly asked questions - I am somewhat new to this forum and haven’t gone through all post history (though I did some) to confirm if this info has already been addressed.

Is it for sure the case that Norway is no longer an eligible video towards Knighthood? Saw that since it is now classified as a pro ride, it is no longer valid.

Is it true that you don’t need to ride at 100%? If so, is there a floor wherein, if breached, the attempt would not be accepted even if 10 valid videos were completed? Not saying I am going or want to do this, but what prevents someone from going at like 20%? Just want to make sure of any technicalities before I go for it.

Thanks and happy suffering… or should I say systming?

Hi @mserge ,

Yes, that is true. I don’t think anyone could do the KoS at 100% on up-to-date 4DP numbers. Most of the workouts are a solid workout on their own at 100%; doing multiple back-to-back at 100% would be a recipe for failure and potentially injury.

No, I don’t think there is any low limit. Quoting from the official page: “We do not set any kind of performance benchmark for your ride (i.e., how hard you have to go). However, we insist that you do a ride in which you Suffer and which, most importantly, of which you are immensely proud of yourself for having given all you can give and a bit more.”

Most people will do the KoS at somewhere around 70%. You can vary it as you go through, depending on how you’re feeling. Personally, I did mine at 70% all the way through. The first few weren’t too hard, but by the end, even 70% felt like 100+%!

Best of luck with your preparation and planning. I highly recommend doing the KoS prep plan, especially the set of five(?) back-to-back workouts in there. It is great preparation for the actual day.

2 Likes

As above and yes, Norway no longer eligible.

Good luck,

2 Likes

Thanks - I guess they have taken it off the official page since the update. Stupid me hadn’t read through that page since then… shoulda checked prior to posting. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for your comment.

Was looking into a preparatory plan yesterday. Will probably do a four week one. Feel like I could fair relatively well as things stand without one - I can do three or four consecutively at 100% on, more or less, any given day, currently - but who knows! Will see.

1 Like

You need to consider a few things. Primary of which is how long have you ever ridden a trainer before? How long in the real world? You’re going to experience a level of discomfort that you’re going to have to just get comfortable with in order to complete this. You need to factor how you are going to fuel for about 10 hours. Your body only has about two hours of fuel in it at an all out pace if you’re well conditioned. Fuel and timing of fuel based on your body weight and intensity planned are something you need to know beforehand. Don’t wing it in the quest, you’ll bonk.

You won’t complete it at 100% and that’s fine. You have to listen to your body. This is an endurance event, not a sprint.

How much you fade in the end depends how hard you go in the beginning.

I just did a double knighthood. I was averaging between .75 and .8 IF the first 14 rides and then hit a wall. The last 6 rides were absolutely unbelievably painful. You just have to suck it up and keep the pedals turning at whatever you can do. My last ride I was at about a .6 IF approximately 60% on intensity and could barely average 160w on the working intervals. I was absolutely destroyed. Everything hurt. It was glorious. It was Epic.

All that matters is that you suffer.

Sir Lee KoS. III

4 Likes

Thanks for your thoughts.

Been on the trainer since February. Rode ~10,500 miles last year. Have been riding for over a decade. Did metric centuries nearly weekly last year. Have done a few imperial centuries over the years.

1 Like

I was aiming more for how long has a single session lasted on a trainer for you or your longest race/ride outdoors? How long are your imperial centuries? If you’re like me and are just at sub 5, plan on experiencing double time I n the saddle for the quest.

Imperial centuries are 100 miles, 160.93 KM. Longest ride of my life is 131 miles (211 KM) or so, I think.

Single session? Not sure. I’ve done (/regularly do) multiple videos consecutively at 100% with little problem. Usually 3 hours or so. Good example might be how I did Neal Henderson: Rabbit Mountain and Blender with basically no problem on a whim the other day.

What do you mean ‘at sub 5’?

Hours for an imperial century

• We do not set any kind of performance benchmark for your ride (i.e., how hard you have to go). However, we insist that you do a ride in which you Suffer and which, most importantly, of which you are immensely proud of yourself for having given all you can give and a bit more.

Oh, and you’ve got to set new numbers before the quest.

1 Like

Erm, no you don’t. Maybe this wasn’t a serious comment but could be confusing to someone reading it without context so just hashtag sayin’

1 Like

You could quest on old numbers, but why?

We’ll, that’s what previous Knights told me before my first. I’ve just always done my Quests on new numbers.

Because the numbers don’t matter, it’s the Suffering that counts. There were no numbers when Knighthood started and they’ve never become a requirement or measure of “success” or “failure”. Simples.

2 Likes

To quote Sir Coach NeilH.:

I decided to storm the castle myself on Sunday. Not because I feel particularly strong, but won’t become easier anyway. My wife and kids are on vacation and I just finished a big project at work. For me, this is almost a once-in-a-life opportunity.

I hope/expect that the software is working properly. I already tried once (last year) and after the third video the software crashed and I couldn’t start the fourth video within the 10 minutes.
That’s why I will not use my software/webcam to capture me and the screen.

1 Like

New numbers matter when you’re calculating burn rates for calories for fuel intake, on the fly adjustments, etc.

No, 4DP final numbers don’t matter, but numbers matter if you want to pace properly.

1 Like

Looks like we’re heading for a downward spiral so we should probably leave it. Numbers may matter or they may not. Neither is right, neither is wrong. My way is not your way is not anothers way. There is no right way, there is only do.

3 Likes

Agreed.

@AndM Best of luck and post if you can to keep us updated. Check out the pre-event page in the mental toughness workbook. It will help you with the what can go wrong list and how to address.

1 Like