Is there a badge for having collected all badges?

Aww. Thanks, Sir Glen.

3 Likes

You should post the pic here too, Sir!

2 Likes

With pleasure. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

LOVE it! Congrats!

4 Likes

That is a thing of beauty, @AlexEllermann ! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes: 7 to go for me: ( 3 on locations, tour down under , Prorides, and knighthood). The big question is what we badgehunters will do when Wahoo brings out their fancy treadmill this summer. I bet they add a bunch of running badges! :woozy_face:

6 Likes

WOW. Thatā€™d make a great wallpaper Sir @AlexEllermann.

3 Likes

I think ā€œweā€ had a plan to do the Pro Rides over the winter. GvA would not be very happy with my results.

8 Likes

@Glen.Coutts It is understandable. The ones that are shorter than an hour might be swappable with some of the over/under threshold or MAP efforts but the stuff over an hour almost is like doing a race and if you are on a plan the ensuing fatigue can mess with other work that is scheduled.

I ended up getting them done by doing one or two a month in the offseason - they work well after a deload week.

8 Likes

Tour de Suisse 1 and Mt Ventoux would make great practice for your double everesting :mountain_snow::grimacing:

3 Likes

Thanks for the tips. As for the double, it is on the backburner for now as the funding goal was not achieved. I canā€™t say Iā€™m upset about that :joy:

Iā€™ll be setting some other goals for the riding season. A good one for me would be to actually complete a cycling plan :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

That was a close call!

Am considering a vEverest on Zwift whilst I have my free year and rode Alpe du Zwift for the first time on Saturday. Not sure Iā€™m quite ready for another 7 and a bit ascents even dropping the power a bit. Will be considerably more saddle time than a Knighthood

3 Likes

True, but these are vastly different challenges. While Everesting has to be done as a single event and you are not allowed sleep, you can take as many breaks as you need for as long as you need and there is no time limit for completion. Also, vEveresting on AdZ affords you break time on the long descent where you donā€™t even need to be on the bike (although that rule was not in place when I did mine). Itā€™s still a long day though, no matter how you look at it.

PSA, if you want your attempt to be counted in the official Hells500 hall of fame, donā€™t just stop when you reach 8848 or when Zwift says youā€™ve Everested. You need to get the 8848 from reps of the segment and the little bit of mileage and of elevation you gain on the lead in to the start point does not count. To be safer do a full 8.5. To be safest do 9 reps.

Thereā€™s a calculator you can use that will help you estimate your time based own your weight and expected speed as well as breaks etc. Here is the segment Alpe du Zwift | Strava Virtual Ride Segment in Temotu Province, Solomon Islands and here is the calculator you can plug it in to: CALCULATOR - EVERESTING

If you do decide to give it a go. Check back in with your date and let folks know. We could come ride with you, even if itā€™s just for a couple of switchbacks.

5 Likes

Oh absolutely!

6 Likes

Iā€™m considering using Lutscher. Itā€™s a little less steep and about as steep as is comfortable for me with my current gearing. Using the KOM marker itā€™s 399m per ascent with no downhills. That puts it at a little over 22 ascents. 23 to be safe. 25.06 for 10,000m.

Iā€™ve done 4 ascents in one go as a test and that wasnā€™t bad. At some point in the next couple months Iā€™ll try 8. If I can stand that then I can make plans for more. But thatā€™s a loooonnnnnng day in the saddle. And thatā€™s a lot to plan for.

Until then Iā€™ve still got KOS #6 as a fallback.

6 Likes

I hadnā€™t seen this anywhere, so thank you for this tip especially. Wouldnā€™t be a good feeling to hit 8,848m and fail. Unless youā€™re just trying to make it harder of course :rofl:

Will take a look, try it out and run the numbers - thanks!

My thinking was to treat it like a Knighthood and use the descent breaks as the only breaks. Looks like theyā€™d be close to 15mins so should be doable. I know if I take longer, Iā€™ll struggle to get back at it.

Will definitely check back in if I decide to do this, a bit of motivation never hurts. Unlike every other part of thisā€¦

2 Likes

Man you guys are going to make me do thisā€¦

:sob: :sob: :sob:

Still very much considering setting a goal next year for this IRL - Mount Greylock is the tallest ā€œpeakā€ in western Massachusetts. 890m over 9 miles would be - what - x10 trips? So 89.7 miles, 8900 meters.

Of course, Sir @Glen.Coutts utterly fascinating calculator says that would take me 17 hoursā€¦

5 Likes

Youā€™ll get the Everesting badge from Zwift at or really near 8848. You just wonā€™t qualify for the Hells500 official Hall of Fame thing if that matters to you. It did to me. Itā€™s worth checking out the Everesting site. Thereā€™s tons of super helpful info, links to the calculator, hall of fame etc, as well as the rules on all the different types of Everestings.

7 Likes