Kickr Core - no resistance?

Hi everyone!

I have a problem with my new Wahoo Kickr Core :pensive: After performing the initial spindown I just wanted to check if everything is working properly. So I just clicked on “Record” in my Wahoo app. When I now change the values for resistance, gradient or power (Watt), my trainer isn’t changing the difficulty. I’ve set the resistance to 100, gradient to 20% and power to 999 Watt and it feels exactly the same as before. I did not change anything in the app settings and for now I am not using any other cycling app.

I have no idea what to do - hope somebody can help me to fix this issue. I have also tried a factory spindown, but nothing has changed.

Thanks in advance!

Hey @Bastiao, welcome to the forums!

Have you added the Kickr as a “sensor” in the Wahoo App yet? Are you using the latest firmware? What phone are you using the wahoo app on? (android, iOS?) What kind of bike do you have on your Kickr? What gearing are you using (eg. 11 speed, 50/34 on an 11-28 cassette etc)?
Are there any other apps or devices that you have or had connected to the Kickr?

Check back in and let us know how you are getting along. Also, if you are looking for personalized help, you should really reach out directly to support, they don’t check in here in the public forums very often
:

1 Like

Hi @Glen.Coutts,

thanks for your quick response! Yes my Kickr Core is successfully connected to my Wahoo App:

I am using an iPhone 14 Pro iOS device. Latest Kickr Core firmware was initially installed after first connection with the App.

I am using a Cube roadbike with 10 speed, 50/34 on a 11-34 Shimano cassette.

Yes I have had other apps (Kinomap and MyWhoosh) connected, too. But with none of those apps the resistance or gradient is affecting my Kickr Core. And if I just try to ride while clicking in “Record” in the Wahoo app and then changing some values like resistance or gradient, nothing happens. The “difficulty” for pushing the pedals is always the same.

I’ve already created a ticket for Wahoo Customer Support - just wanted to double check if somebody have had the same issue. It feels like a “Layer 8” problem - but unfortunately I am not able to figure out what’s wrong.

Thank you so much!

I’ve found some time ago that if I have had one app connected to my Kickr, that it can steal the BTLE connection, making it impossible to get trainer control on a different app, even if that first app is closed. It makes it so I need to force close all the apps, and sometimes toggle BTLE on and off (also being sure that no other device, like a nearby computer, is running BTLE and may have grabbed the connection)

If your Kickr is showing as connected in your iPhone’s Bluetooth settings, then you could start with forgetting it there, as well as toggling BTLE off and back on.

It may also be worth forgetting the Kickr in all the apps, then re-adding your Kickr with the WA only.

Give some of these things a try?

2 Likes

Hi @Glen.Coutts,

thanks!

I have tried all of these steps now.
First I have deleted Kickr Core in all third party apps. Then I have deleted it in the Wahoo App. I’ve turned off Bluetooth on my iPhone and turned off the device. In addition I have unplugged Kickr Core for some minutes. Then I restarted all devices and connected the devices via Bluetooth again (just within Wahoo App).

Unfortunately my Kickr Core behavior doesn’t change at all. Maybe it’s just broken and needs to get replaced :pensive:

Here’re some screenshots of my Wahoo app:

I hope Wahoo Customer Support will send me some feedback soon.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Gaaah. So frustrating! I feel for you. Can you check another thing, while you wait for support to get back to you?

When you first open the WA, after you tap record, with Indoor Cycling chosen as the profile, do you get a screen like the one below, from mine, that shows the data sources for each metric?

If not, you may need to select your Kickr from the available options.
If you do, I’m not sure what to suggest since you’ve also noted that you’ve tried other apps and also feel no resistance changes.

What’s weird to me though is that in your pic, you display a power of 892 watts, a cadence of 42, and a speed of 20.2 so to me, that would indicate that there IS resistance being applied. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Hi @Glen.Coutts,

yes indeed I can see this screen in my Wahoo app:

Appreciate your support!

1 Like

There are, as you can see, different modes and each will have a different effect. To test ERG mode, you’d have the trainer in “Target Power” and set the wattage you’d like to maintain. It might take a few seconds before you feel the resistance but you should definitely feel it.

Again, though, your power output, while in Simulation mode at 20% is being displayed at 1011 watts. That’s like a pretty big sprint so I’d think you’d feel a LOT of resistance when doing that. Are you saying you don’t?

1 Like

Hi @Glen.Coutts,

just tested it again and set Target Power to 900 W but even after minutes pushing the pedals just feels the same. I cannot feel any difference and believe me I am not performing a powerful sprint :crazy_face:

So I guess my Kickr Core is broken… too sad…

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s broken or if there’s a setting that we’ve missed. Maybe support has a way to do a factory reset type of thing.

That it’s showing your output at 1000 watts plus but you’re not feeling anything is definitely off.

Humour me though, after you press start, can you tap Trainer Control and select Target Power. Then, set it to 150 watts and pedal for a bit, then increase the setting to 250 and so on. After doing that, do you still not notice any difference in your effort required?

2 Likes

Hi @Glen.Coutts,

just tested it by starting slow with 150W and then slightly increasing values step by step up to 999W.

(Sorry for German labels in the screenshot just forgot to switch language back to English on my iPhone)

I really don’t feel any kind of increased difficulty - just feels like changing those values doesn’t affect the Kickr Core at all.

Let’s see what Wahoo will advise me to do.

Really appreciate your support, thank you!

2 Likes

No need to apologize. I’m betting your English is better than my German :joy:!!

What has me stumped here is that the app is reporting your output but you’re not feeling it. :expressionless:

Is it possible there’s some signal interference?

2 Likes

Hi @Glen.Coutts,

Idk how good your German is :thinking::sweat_smile:

I am not sure how to figure out if there’s and kind of interference?

A friend of mine, who also got a Kickr Core, told me that I should hear kind of mechanical sounds of the Kickr Core when I am changing the values of resistance, gradient, etc. But I can’t hear sth. like a mechanical sound… Hope you understand what I mean, it’s a bit tough to explain :crazy_face:

1 Like

Same here. NOTHING happens, no matter is ERG/SIM/whatsoever… of course only in wahoo android app. In Zwift or Rouvy everything is ok, but when I want controll by wahoo app nothing happens.

Not working from firmware upgrade or new andoird app version (or spindown? I dont know…). Before everything was ok.

The OP has no resistance regardless of which app they use. Your issue sounds like it is the Wahoo App only. For you, it might be worth deleting the wahoo app completely from your phone and reinstalling after a phone reboot.

2 Likes

The extent of my German is: 1,2,3, please, thanks, SHlT, forbidden, I love you and I am a Berliner.

I’ve got the Kickr ‘18 myself (v4) and making any changes to target power,gradient simulation,or resistance is completely silent.

I notice the signal (number of green bars) of your Kickr Core seems kinda weak. See a pic of mine:

It leaves me wondering if there is some kind of interference like suggested in the article I linked to earlier :thinking:

2 Likes

Hi @Glen.Coutts,

that means you know the most important German words!

Wahoo Support sent me a response, they’re assuming it’s an issue with interference, too. But I am sure I have deleted Kickr Core Bluetooth connection in all other apps and devices. Is there any way of a factory reset (not the factory spindown) to ensure that no other device or app is connected?

Thanks!

hehe.

Besides unplugging and leaving unplugged for a minute or so which is supposed to reset the Kickr, I’m not aware of anything else.

In terms of interference, have you tried turning off Wifi? That, in addition to any other devices that are currently powered on that connect via Bluetooth, such as a nearby computer or tablet. I recall reading somewhere that changing the frequency of a wife router resolved connectivity issues but that is something beyond my knowledge or expertise.

If none of these have resolved the issue and you have already deleted Kickr from other apps and devices, then be sure to let Support know that you’ve done that and still nothing changes.

1 Like

Okay I will check this tomorrow. Hopefully it’s really just an interference issue. I am really not interested in „rebuilding“ my Kickr Core setup. It really took a while to find a good setup for shifting and all those things…

1 Like

Hi @Glen.Coutts,

now I was able to give it a try. I’ve turned off WiFi and all other possible devices which could cause interference issues. Unfortunately it didn’t work - still same behavior of the Kickr Core.

And btw - when I put my iPhone into my smartphone holder (this one is placed directly at the handlebars) the Bluetooth signal does just show 2 of 4 bars. Just when I put my iPhone directly next to the Kickr Core it’s showing 4 of 4 bars.

Idk what’s wrong with my Kickr Core, maybe it’s broken and needs to get replaced. I will wait for the next response of Wahoo Customer support. If the proposed solution doesn’t work, I will contact the seller to get the device replaced.

1 Like