Knighthood on 28th May 2022

she’s a keeper!

and

Yes “we” are!!

2 Likes

We have been married coming up on 48 years now. I figured out she was keeper decades ago. Just not sure why she wants to keep me??? :thinking:

5 Likes

#relatable

1 Like

Salute! 40 years for us this summer. I might say this qualifies me as an expert on ‘suffering’…but I didn’t get here with manure for brains!

2 Likes

I used Gatorade endurance formula (powder) for both my KOS quests. I always had a liter of water and a liter of Gatorade sitting next to me. I would drink a half liter per hour and then drink the water for any extra hydration needs.

I also had a mix of sweet and salty snacks pre-bagged into individual servings, plus gels. I had a notebook next to me with the number of carbs in each snack so i could ensure I was taking in 60-90g every hour.

The PB&J sandwiches my family made me were the highlight of my rides. Lol

3 Likes

Thanks for that tip @Sir_Alan! Really appreciate it.
Never double dip the chamois cream even if its my personal one. Haha

I think I might just go with a room temperature wet towel though. You know it’s really hot in Malaysia. Maybe even perhaps straight from the tap during the day.

Oh yes, I didn’t mentioned earlier, I would be attempting the Knighthood on the morning of 28th May, hopefully I will be able to start on time at about 7.

Oh definitely! But since we only have hot weather all year round here, I will skip the heater thing. :smile:

Not exactly sure if I can find this here Sir @emacdoug, but if there is, it will be a God-sent item. Nevertheless, I am planning to get a couple of bottles of Gatorade to drink whenever I get off the bike mainly for the sugar to keep me going. In terms of the regular hydration liquid intake, it will still be the bottles of water with electrolyte effervescence tablets.

The thought of the roasted pork meat on the bike :drooling_face: :drooling_face: :drooling_face: It’s at the bottom

But in all seriousness, I will be preparing egg and mayo sandwiches and the shredded chicken and mayo sandwiches as well on top of some gels and granola bars too.

1 Like

I have drawn up my playlist but I am curious to find out as I have seen others posting about their effort levels in terms of percentages. For example Nine Hammers at 80%, would that mean 80% of FTP throughout the entire session? Or would 80% be for all the segments in the session (i.e.: Warm up, Intervals, Recovery and Cool down)?

My playlist is more or less decided in the following order:

1. Who Dares (80%)
  2. Team Scream (80%)
  3. The Trick (70%)
  4. Revolver (70%)
  5. Angels (70%)
  6. Nine Hammers (70%)
  7. The Chores (80%)
  8. Attacker (70%)
  9. GOAT (75%)
  10. Defender (80%)

I am still not sure if I should ramp up the effort percentages after #8 or if it’s even sustainable to do that. :thinking:

2 Likes

The LOOOOONG sustained efforts for Defender after 9-10 hours of riding would for me be a hard NO. If it were me, I’d put Defender at #4 and leave everything else as is. TBH, if it were me, Defender would NOT be on my list, lo! That’s just me though and ymmv but as a general bit of advice, you may want to keep the vids with longer sustained efforts earlier on the quest. Your call of course, as I know Defender is a favourite for a few folks (cough cough Sir @emacdoug) but for me it may be my most feared/hated of all (my weakness in sustained efforts makes it a total mind f :stuck_out_tongue: )

As to the question of percentage, again a personal thing but, when you adjust percentage at the start of a vid, it will give you the option of leaving the recovery sections as is. Also, it is a global reduction unless you choose to adjust the individual metrics and only want to reduce FTP. That is, unless you toggle the “Adjust 4DP metrics individually” button, it will reduce all metrics to whatever percentage you set. I makes sense.

Don’t listen to @Glen.Coutts complain about Defender. :smile: It’s one of my personal favorites and is exactly how I ended my first KOS quest. I think it’s an awesome vid to end on. It will be tough! But it’s still awesome to finish with. And may not be at 80% either. But those %’s are always personal, anyway. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hehe. It’s not just me Sir,

1 Like

If both you of you noticed there’s somewhat like a theme from #7 down to #10
The Chores Attacker
GOAT Defender

Gotta defend the castle and the nation, no? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Hahaha, I know what you’re getting at :joy:

Actually I am really leaving the recovery sections as they are only the interval efforts I am adjusting to reduce the effort to between 70% and 80%

Hmmm, I might want to do just this as well :thinking: but before I do anything like that, I ought to be taking a screenshot of my 4DP profile though.

Hahahahaha, to be honest, It was between this and A Very Dark Place. But I guess, I am just afraid of being in the dark, so I rather defend.

Yeah, that’s exactly the thing which is on my mind since yesterday when I was doing up the playlist and the assault plan. Maybe I am being over-ambitious to wanting to complete the KoS quest on a higher level. But like I mentioned, I am not sure if I could sustain 80% effort after 9 hours of riding.

I still need to think it through

2 Likes

I think you misunderstood. In the Settings tab while you are in a workout, you can adjust intensity up or down as you go—even in the middle of a session. One option is to change each “color” ( FTP, MAP, etc) individually instead of all together. If you do that, you can still make everything 100% again during the workout and it will be normal again. And SYSTM will forget any adjustments when it starts the next workout. No need to remember your numbers or take screenshots.

3 Likes

good catch. I agree, it seems there may have been a misunderstanding too.

I thought about taking a screen shot to show it but forgot. I am a very visual learner personally, and without pics I am often lost.

Edit: @DarrenWCKam
here is a screen shot of the workout settings while in a video. You’ll see the + - options. I’ve reduced it to 90%. The recovery sections won’t be reduced here as I didn’t toggle that on. If you are on desktop, you can adjust the percentage on the fly with the up down button on your keyboard. Pretty handy shortcut

strong text

2 Likes

Thanks for adding the screenshot.

Oh yeah! You’re right man, I totally forgot that there’s actually that + and - button in the settings tab. I guess I often overlook and neglect that tab there. Haha.
But thanks for pointing it out @AkaPete and @Glen.Coutts

Come to think of it, I think I would use this method to adjust the intensity of the rides rather than plotting it out on Excel.
As for adjusting on the fly, I think that’s a good idea too, perhaps I should try it out later this evening while I do the UAE Tour 1 ride.

2 Likes

Yup. With the Settings tab, you can adjust up or down depending on how you feel. Although, I think for a Knighthood attempt, you should probably adjust down, similar to the plan you laid out, right from the start. You can make the adjustments at the beginning of each session. You can do it while riding so you don’t eat into your 10 minutes.

2 Likes

Would agree with you on that. If I am to adjust it on the fly, I think the only time to do that safely is when I am on the turbo. :sweat_smile:

But a shout-out Sir @ronburgundy for pointing out to download the videos prior which I should do pretty soon since my rides are now planned.

2 Likes

If you’re running SYSTM on a laptop/desktop, the up and down arrow keys can also be used to adjust the intensity. It’s a relatively easy way of adjusting on the fly, as long as you can reach the keyboard.

I’m curious about why you’re planning on switching trainers during the KoS. Is this planned, or a fallback in case your main trainer has some sort of issue?

Thanks for sharing the planning for your quest! It’s always interesting to hear the process people go through in planning for the big day.

1 Like

Hello Sir @way9e0 good to have you, another honourable knight here too!

I shall give this a try later this evening since I am riding after work.
Alternatively, get a wireless keyboard :smiley:

Well I predominantly ride on the rollers but I am planning to switch between the rollers and turbo mainly because I will be to stand on the pedals while being on the turbo every so often to relief the strain on the back which I am still unable to do on the roller.
Personally, it’s also for fueling purposes while being deep in the session if I need to and to take the mind off concentrating on keeping the bike upright while having to fight with the devil in me.
Oh yes, a fallback plan, definitely a big yes in case the roller band decides to snap on me again.

This is much bigger than attending my first metric century ride 6 years ago. Was much more of a noob back then. :rofl:

2 Likes

I picked up a mini wireless keyboard on Amazon a few months back for like $17-$18. Works great and the up and down arrows will adjust intensity with just a press of the button, easy peasy.

1 Like