Knighthood recovery

I’m planning to do 5 videos this weekend and then a Knighthood attempt next, if all goes well.
It’s a bit of a rush but I have races coming up in March and do not want to do it during the race season.
I’m thinking of it as a mega long and hard training ride.
What are people’s experiences of recovery time? Were you wiped out for weeks and unable to train properly for ages or alright after an easy week ? I know we are all different but it gives me an idea.

2 Likes

If you mean the 5 videos that are part of the SuF training plan, I did them 2 weeks ago. Took about 6:30 hours (with 10min pauses).

Considering how hard the videos felt, I was quite ok the next day. Somewhat sore, but not really tired. However, I didn’t go on a bike for another 3 days, I just didn’t feel ready. My morning HRV also aligned with this, it took 4 days before it was back to normal.

2 Likes

You must have done some long videos for it to take that long? I’m planning on my knighthood taking about 8.5hrs!

On the direct question of recovery time - I found it the same as an elapsed time 10-12 hour outdoor ride. One where I’d be getting a bit wrecked on the MTB, climbs that lasted too long :rofl: and so on.
Generally that’s about a week for me to have some semblance of lungs and heart and legs and back returning to normal. Then maybe a fortnight before I’d do anything significant.

But thinking to each time, I wouldn’t be racing a week afterwards. But that’s maybe cos I’m just not strong enough to race anyway, and there aren’t MTB races :rofl::rofl: (my equivalent would be I wouldn’t set off up climbing a Munro on my bike a week later even if I felt better). I’d be two weeks at least.

Having said all of that (and I don’t need any replies about age being a number) I definitely take a lot longer to recover from longer efforts as the my yesrs tick by … whether that’s hillwalking, mountaineering, cycling, MTB’ing …
So like you say, everyone’s different, but that’s one view

2 Likes

That’s really useful Martin. A couple of weeks is fine and you definitely recover quick from big bike rides. Versus my brief flirtation with ultra running which was an absolutely terrible idea!:rofl:

2 Likes

15 months and counting…:wink:

Seriously a couple days of pain and tender stair walking. HRV had me at around a week of “overtrained”. A lot of stretching and recovery.

Once i was able to sit the bike again, i did a recovery week and was back at it. But i think my biometrics were depressed for 2-3 weeks. Like i had an illness.

Oh, and im 55.

2 Likes

CTT_A stiff but no injuries or knee issues?

1 Like

no injuries. certainly some knee stuff - but that’s a me thing. lot of changes in bike position throughout to minimize knee strain.

1 Like

5 days completely off the bike, an easy spin day, TWO at 100%, then I did the Full Frontal prep week. So, rested, prepped and retested.

1 Like

Yeah, I forgot this. Also retested after my recovery week.

Sounds like a great idea. Did you get an increase in numbers? I just want to end the indoor season with a bang before I get back outside in March. It’s this or the more intense Kitchen Sink!:rofl:

1 Like

I tested in Nov '17, quested near the end of Feb '18 (1 week post ToS 2018), then retested in March '18.

Compared to my Nov '17 test: FTP+7w, MAP+7w, AC+44w, NM-37w (but still 1150w so, not fussed a bit).

2 Likes

Absolutely no reason not to do this. 5 videos tomorrow as a test then 10 next Sunday. Thanks for the advice guys

4 Likes

I did my quest on a Saturday, then the thirty minute “Recovery Spin” on Sunday and then started a moderate volume threshold block on Tuesday. After that three week block, I did a Full Frontal prep plan and after the test I was ready to travel to Italy for a week of cycling in Tuscany! I had no problem with any of that!

5 Likes

It depends on how well trained up you are before your Knighthood. When I was undertrained I would take a few days off and a recovery week or two. In 2022 I was in my best shape and did 12 videos. I did my usual rest day the next day and then did Full Frontal 2 weeks after and was ready for more training.

So if you are in good endurance shape then a week of recovery riding and then a week of building back in should be sufficient.

With all my half marathons and KOS attempts I find I am less sore and recover quicker if I do plenty of active recovery including walking and recovery rides/runs.

Basically, when I’m in good shape going in I feel strong and motivated after, and ready to ride again quickly. When I’m not in so good shape going in I feel tired and sore and demotivated to ride again for a while after.

3 Likes

I did the 5 videos that are scheduled in the prep plan - Butter, Blender, Local Hero, The Rookie, BMX.

2 Likes

How are you holding up today? After your epic achievement yesterday! Congrats, by the way.

3 Likes

Thanks! Feeling surprisingly well, except going to the hospital part. I only feel some tension in my legs when going up the stairs, otherwise I can’t complain.

2 Likes

Oh dear, what happened? Should I have a medic on standby when I do mine next week?:joy:

1 Like

About 2 hours after I was done, my body went into panic mode. Started shaking like crazy and vomiting. It wasn’t getting any better so I went to the hospital and they kept me overnight on IV.

But don’t worry, I’m sure I’m the first idiot in KoS history that had to go to the hospital afterwards, you’ll do fine!

4 Likes