New toy (Kreitler rollers)

Early Father’s Day present.

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Nothing fancy, very dumb. Appreciate any thoughts or input on how to adapt for SUFF use - sessions, settings, etc.

6 Likes

Hide all the furniture

1 Like

I hope you also got a lot of large pillows.

1 Like

Set up a GoPro so we can all watch :slight_smile:

3 Likes

…open doorway.

1 Like

Learn how to jump rope while riding them. You can learn a lot from this girl. She’s probably already better on her bike than I ever will be.

2 Likes

Do you have a power meter on your bike? If not, I see that the Kreitler rollers are available as an option for Virtual Watts, so you can get an estimate of power based on your speed.

I suspect that you will be limited on the maximum power you can produce given that these rollers don’t have any sort of resistance unit. That will probably rule out most AC/NM-focused workouts, but any recovery/endurance/FTP workouts should be fine.

Enjoy the roller experience! I like how the bike is able to move around under you, rather than being fixed in position. If you haven’t ridden rollers before, I agree with the comment about setting them up in a doorway so you have something to balance on as you get started.

1 Like

Ha! :joy::rofl::joy: Fair points all!

Truth in advertising, in my (much) younger days, our coaches had us drill on these all the time to develop better pedal stroke technique and learn to hold a line, so in my never-ending quest to regain that form on the bike, I’d been looking to pick up a set of rollers, and these Kreitler Kompacts are great for taking on the road with you.

@way9e0 those were my thoughts as well, re: Sufferfest. I’m thinking of subbing the rollers in next winter whenever I have recovery, tempo, steady effort endurance, etc. The 3" rollers are supposed to offer about 40% more resistance out of the box, in the 50 - 450 watt range, so good for pretty much any steady effort I’ll be doing for the foreseeable future.

3 Likes

Nice! Happy rollering. :slight_smile:

1 Like

When I first started indoor training I used rollers as I thought the extra fun in balancing would be better than just staring at a wall - it was!

I then discovered Sufferfest and can remember doing Angels and The Hunted videos based on RPE and HR zones. Compared to Erg mode that sounds pretty lame nowadays but for the FTP focussed workouts riding off HR is pretty good in my opinion.

That all said, if you can do 450W on yours and have a power meter then the world is your oyster!

1 Like

Oh I can easily do 450W, the question is “for how long”…

:wink::beers:

3 Likes

You need to protect the area around the rollers with the Sufferlandria bed-o-nails mattresses so you have a suitable something to land on if you fall off.

Failing that have a spot or picture on a far wall dead ahead to focus on to help keep you straight and use them for the cadence builders. If you want to get your pedalling smoother do a high cadence roller session, better still if you can lay your hands on a fixed gear bike.

2 Likes

Be careful when the riders on the video lean into corners. You may have a tendency to lean with them!!

3 Likes

:+1:t2:

Heck I’ve almost done that while locked into my trainer on Team Scream!

2 Likes

Ruby Isaac is only 12 years old and she rides the rollers better than Manon. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I do all my sessions on rollers. Bike has dual sided powermeter, links to the iPad and Sufferfest. Does not work so well for very short sprint intervals, but good for everything else, makes the longer sessions much more interesting - have managed >700W sprints on them though! Great for steady efforts, balance, cadence and smooth pedalling.

1 Like