No cooldown for On Location Tasmania: Kunanyi / Mt. Wellington?

Well that was weird…. I just completed the On Location Tasmania: Kunanyi / Mt. Wellington workout… Lots of fun to do, and it’s fantastic for sustained effort improvements.

While there were a couple of small video to workout sync glitches (Nicole’s intervals ran longer that the workout’s a few times, and the ending was cut abruptly at the end of the session), what struck me as most bizarre is that there’s no real cooldown… At the very end, there’s a 5 minute interval at 70% of FTP, followed by 15s at about 60%, then about 50s at 40% - and that’s it. My heart rate was still in upper Zone 2 at that point.

Is this a glitch in the workout? It’s really the first time (other than Extra Short and The Long Scream) that there’s so little cooldown.

Is there a specific reason for this?

Rob

1 Like

The last ten minutes is like a tempo block, not a full on effort. I guess the minions thought that wouldn’t justify a lengthy cool down.
I’m in two minds about these things. I’d prefer a longer cool down, but my behind really wants to get off the bike after that long of an indoor workout.

3 Likes

Yeah, I agree. I don’t mind the additional tempo block, but I was disappointed that it just ended on that.

Did you also get the impression that the video was cut very abruptly?

Rob

1 Like

I just did this for the first time today. I didn’t get the feeling that the video cut abruptly. Right at the end, did you get the video of Nicole riding towards the camera and saying goodbye, followed by the Wahoo outro?

No, I did not get this. My session was 1:09:26 with only a few seconds at 40% - the version I just checked how is a full minute longer (1:10:20) with minute or so at 40%.
I’m guessing that the workout was modified to match the video!

Rob

1 Like

I suspect your workout didn’t update, Robert. Did you have the video downloaded before you rode it? That might have caused a glitch where the workout didn’t pick up the updates we made to it and so you ended up with that abrupt end and some intervals slightly off the pace. Sorry about that. If you delete the downloaded video, it should all clean itself up.

As for the ‘cool down’ – yeah, the idea is that that last block is the ‘cool down’ since it’s not that intense…you don’t need a long easy block to finish things off.

2 Likes

Hi David,

Yes, I had downloaded the video soon after it was available, and did the session many days after that. I’ve since deleted the download.

I suspect that you’re right…

Thanks

Rob

1 Like

I rode up that hill on a cloudy misty day earlier this year. There was a very very long ‘cool’ down all the way back to Hobart!!!
:ice_cube: :cloud_with_rain: :boom::goat:

3 Likes