Questions on Power/Weight ratio limitations

As a heavy rider, I want to chime in here. I think this all comes back to rider phenotype. You have to play your advantages. If you are doing a fondo for instance. I recently qualified for the Gran Fondo worlds and finished ahead of my skinny friends.

How? I played my advantages.

1. I know I am heavy so I am not chasing the light guys up hills
  2. I can hold really good power for a very very long time. So I focus on the highest power I can hold without burning matches ( I am a TT pheno type with repeat as a limiter). Higher average speed, forget about climbing hills. Get to the front of your group before the bottom of the hill and try not to get dropped as you slowly slide back, this will buy some time on the climbs.
  3. I go the very front of the start carrall, not because I would stay up front. Because then I could find someone who was always going a fast as I wanted to go when I could go fast. Start at the back and you will be in no mans land.
  4. Exploit your strengths. Look for ways to increase power, reduce drag and be really economical on the bike. Tuck like crazy when you coast. Keep pedalling after you crest a hill until you are up to speed on the flat or downhill. If you are climbing and there are switchbacks, do everything you can to crank up your speeds on the switchbacks that are flat.
    Oh yeah #5. Never never never be out in the wind on your own always find a group. Never pass someone unless you are sure you are 30% faster than they are.
3 Likes