Quiz-O-Protein

This is flipping awesome! I am a sucker for infographics and am saving this one. Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you for the tip James! Next time I will follow your suggestion- such a newbie error.

Did anyone record and calculate their grams of protein per kilogram yesterday? Want to share? Where do you think you can make improvements in protein consumption? How about after a workout?

Apologies, I’m rubbish at remembering to track stuff!!

I think in general my post workout is ok as at the moment I’m doing my hard runs just before lunch.

But my diet in general isn’t very well controlled. I’ve got better with calories, but if I’m honest I couldn’t say what macros are in what I eat. I do tend to have meat in my main meal plus I drink milk once or twice a day, so I “think” I’m getting enough. But I really do need to get my backside in gear with it!

Mmmm chocolate milk. The problem here in NZ tho is we have a particular brand which is full fat fresh fancy cow milk with very expensive local chocolate melted into it. It is utterly delicious and I try to ignore that it is a whopping number of calories for a tiny wee 180ml bottle. It has a huge amount of sugar in it. I could make my own with dark chocolate but So.Much.Effort :joy:

if you’re into infographics, you might have heard of Yann Le Meur?

I use loads of these for teaching. also the infographic section of the BJSM if you have access, usually created by Adam Virgile
they’re all worth following on twitter
@AdamVirgile
@ScienceforSport
@YLMSportScience

What is the recommendation for those allergic to chocolate?

I totally get it! Tracking is one more thing to do… but now I am super curious about your macro percentage. If you ever get excited to track for a day and want to share your data, I would love to take a look!

1 Like

How about blending strawberries or banana with milk? Or yogurt with fruit?

1 Like

WHAT?!?! How did I not know about this?!?! Thank you!

Oh geez… that sounds absolutely delicious and totally dangerous for a chocoholic like me! One of my favorite, more controlled treats, is greek yogurt with raw coconut flakes and shaved dark chocolate.

1 Like

It’s dangerous. I’ll send a photo! Means I have to buy one. Guess that means I have to drink it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

My problem with chocolate milk is that I love it, but I’m mostly lactose intolerant. Despite that, I still drink the bottle I get handed at the end of my races and for some reason rarely have a problem with it, even tho if I drank one on any regular day it would cause me various GI issues.

no problem, I do a lot of teaching and science communication (I’m a sports scientist mainly with an LTAD and SEM focus), I guess I couldn’t make a living without infographics :wink:

2 Likes

Not to shamelessly plug, but if you’re in the US, see if you can find Fairlife milk. They “ultra filter” to remove lactose and other bads. Their chocolate milk is REALLY good.

2 Likes

How about chocolate soy milk?

Fairlife milk is a good option. I’ve had that. It’s usually more expansive, tho.

Since it’s not actually milk do you actually get the same benefits?

With respect to milk… among all animal proteins, milk proteins contain the highest amount of leucine (one of the nine essential amino acids). Leucine’s primary functions are muscle building, muscle recovery, and prevention of muscle loss. But if you are lactose intolerant or do not enjoy milk products… salmon, chickpeas, eggs, soybeans, chicken, and beef are all high in leucine.

5 Likes

There are some really tasty Soy milk products off the shelf. Of course you can make your own. Personally I moved away from 99% of the dairy I used to consume for moral/ethical reasons - I’m wouldn’t call myself vegan but I wanted to reduce where possible/practical. I’ve not noticed any performance hit and I drink soy milk and chocolate vegan protein powder (mix of several plant proteins) for recovery.

2 Likes

@jim Similar for me - I throw in some date syrup and a spice like nutmeg, cinnamon or cardamom as well.

1 Like