Quiz-O-Protein

Chocolate soy milk is fortified with sadness. Probably perfect for a SUFF beverage.

:wink:

2 Likes

My two cents on this topic are that this is REALLY hard. I’m a lifelong athlete, familiar with my physiology and all of the science. I eat well, keep a food journal (app), whole foods, etc., but between trying to get recommended protein levels, recommended fiber, getting enough carbohydrates to fuel workouts AND controlling caloric intake to continue to shed excess pre-SUFF weight, it’s a lot.

I find w/o making conscious choices at each and every meal, I can’t keep up. My low-end for protein intake is around 90g/day, which I manage with focus, but I can’t imagine how much work I would have to put in to get up towards the 2g/kg/day range. 160g???

So a good question for me would be what are good foods that are high in both fiber AND protein?

This string alone is worth the SUF subscription, fwiw.

3 Likes

Dark chocolate is relatively high in protein and fibre, as are most nuts and pulses. Animal protein doesn’t have any fibre.

1 Like

I totally hear you! It is an incredibly complicated, and many times frustrating process. I am a vegetarian (not vegan) so I especially relate to your protein consumption comments. My protein goal is 100-120 g and I eat 6 smaller meals each day. It helps me to simply shoot for 20 g of protein in each of these meals and for fiber, include a whole grain with a fruit or vegetable serving too. Would it help at all to break your meals down into similar generic goals?

1 Like

A 1-ounce serving of dark chocolate, between 70% to 85% cacao solids, contains:

Calories: 170
Protein: 2 g
Fat: 12 g
Carbohydrates: 13 g
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 7 g

… and bonus- loaded with iron, magnesium, zinc, and copper.

1 Like

@CPT_A I hear you re it being REALLY hard. As a long-time vegan I watch my nutritional intake carefully, am very careful to “eat like a rainbow”, and try to do that with natural foods avoiding all but the most necessary supplements (e.g. B12). However, when in the thick of Sufferfest training programs I start supplementing. And for me to fit this in with work and family commitments I use smoothies and home-made protein bars.
My classic smoothie - almond milk, banana (or 2), goji berries, chia seeds, LSA or ground flax, vegan protein powder, blueberries. Have 1 in morning and take 1 to work.
My go-to protein bar (fibre ++ too) - Protein Bars to Die For by Kiwi-Kai in the Thermomix. A Thermomix <sup>®</sup> recipe in the category Desserts & sweets on www.recipecommunity.com.au, the Thermomix <sup>®</sup> Community. (don’t need a thermomix, Maple syrup substituted for honey if vegan). Take to work/ keep in car.
I’ll add in 2-4 of above/ day when training hard.

Finally, unless I have an event/big ride coming up, I look for my balance over a week rather than a meal or a day - that cuts me some slack or it really does seem too hard.

2 Likes

@CPT_A Oatmeal is on the chart - that is high in both protein and fiber. I prefer steel cut or cracked and mix in some fruit compote, nut butter and/or chocolate powder and a few spices. Also beans, chickpeas and lentils are high in protein and fiber as well and so are many grains such as farro, bulgar and wheat berries which go great on salads or with roasted veggies.

4 Likes

This is a good concept. :+1:t3:

1 Like