Recovery Assessment

Catching up here:

1. 7 - 9 hours (10)
  2. 2 - 3 nights interrupted (7)
  3. 10 glasses water (10)
  4. No caffeine - I stopped drinking both coffee and green/black tea and it improved my sleep (10)
  5. Definitely more than 5 servings - have gone to the plant based diet (10)
  6. Definitely protein at every meal and usually pea protein after workouts (10)
  7. No alcohol - it affects my sleep, recovery and just doesn’t jibe with my system
  8. Ok - you got me. I have been thinking about doing this as I see a benefit when I am measuring HRV in how breathing affects my heart rate and I know there are concentration benefits but just haven’t done it yet. Will put it on the list.

Thanks - this is a good thread!

4 Likes

And my recent revelation is to do my 15-20 minutes of yoga stretches immediately before bed. AH! Totally improves my sleep quality and increases my HRV. I wish I started this 20 years ago…

4 Likes

Q5: A
Q6: D

Currently 30 points

1. B (10)
  2. A (10)
  3. B (8)
  4. A (10)
  5. B (8)
  6. B (7)
  7. C (I consider this part of the relaxation process!)
  8. A (I’ll often do yoga just before bed too, but haven’t been able to put my finger on any variation in sleep quality)
1 Like

And the answers:

Q1. : B
Q2. : 5
Q3. : A

Happy Friday and Final Recovery Assessment Day!

Here are the point allocations from yesterday.

Q#7: How many servings and how many days/nights per week do you drink beverages that contain alcohol?
A. 0 servings; never = 10 points
B. 1-2 servings; 1-2 nights per week = 10 points
C. 1-2 servings; 3 or more nights per week = 6 points
D. 3 or more servings; 3 or more nights per week = 0 points

According to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, adults of legal drinking age can choose not to drink, or to drink in moderation by limiting intake to 2 drinks or less in a day for men and 1 drink or less in a day for women. Moderate alcohol consumption may reduce the risk of heart disease, ischemic stroke, and diabetes. BUT- eating a healthy diet and physical activity reduce the risk significantly more than occasional drinking.

Q#8: How many days per week (minimum of 10 minutes) do you practice mind-body exercises?
A. 6-7 days per week = 10 points
B. 4-5 days per week = 8 points
C. 2-3 days per week = 5 points
D. 0-1 days per week = 2 points

Numerous scientific studies have demonstrated the benefits of mind-body exercises for training recovery and sleep quality. Individuals who challenge themselves in their sport report better sleep, few injuries, and reduced stress with a regular routine of tai chi, yoga, and stretching.

And our final pair of questions-

QUESTION #9/10:
How many days per week do you recover with NO planned exercise?
note: planned exercise includes any cardiovascular activity over 60% heart rate max for over 20 minutes or any strength activity that causes fatigue; planned exercise does not include casual walking or mind-body activities

A. more than 2 days per week
B. 2 days per week
C. 1 day per week
D. typically, no recovery days

QUESTION #10/10:
What is the frequency that you experience the following symptoms related to stress?

• headaches
• tense muscles (sore neck, sore back)
• fatigue
• anxiety, worry, phobias
• bouts of anger or hostility
• boredom, depression
• digestive problems
• restlessness, itching, spasms

A. never
B. almost never
C. occasionally
D. almost always

Q1 B = 10
Q2 B = 7
Q3 C = 5
Q4 A = 10
Q5 A = 10
Q6 B = 7
Q7 A = 10
Q8 A = 10
—————-
79 points

Q9 C
Q10 C

1 Like

Q9 B and Q10 B

Running total of points is now 66.

Q9: B. I tend to do 2 days of proper recovery a week if I’m training hard. Which I am at the moment.
Q10: C Occasionally, as I am exercising a lot at the moment. If I wasn’t, this would be often or always.

1 Like

7, B
8.C
Recovery Score so far - 55

On to questions 9 & 10…

Points from #1&2: 9
Points from #3&4: 20
Points from #5&6: 20
Points from #7&8: 14
Current total: 63

#9: C - I always have 1 day off per week. Some days when I know I need it I will take off a 2nd day. I also usually take an easy day in the middle of my week, but my HR still easily climbs into Z2 and over the 60% line.

#10: C - I have a sore back quite a bit, but that is from an injury and it’s present regardless of the amount of exercise I do and is not stress-related. My back soreness and restless leg issues actually go away with more exercise rather than less (if I do the right exercises). Swimming is great for my back. But even just a couple minutes of the wrong type of strength training can sideline me for weeks. I don’t get enough sleep, so I do feel fatigued more often than I should and that’s my main problem. That and fatigue at the end of my harder weeks.

Gotta catch up here:
Q3 C
Q4 B
Q5 C
Q6 B
Q7 B
Q8 D
Total of 43 points

Q9 A I ride 3 days a week per mutually agreed upon regulations :grin:
Q10 C Between my appendix handhole scar and the plates on my collarbone from crashing last year it’s a crap shoot as to if my hip, back or either shoulder will hurt when I wake up in the morning.

1 Like
  1. B (10)
  2. A (10)
  3. B (8)
  4. A (10)
  5. B (8)
  6. B (7)
  7. C (6)
  8. A (10)
  9. A - work is taking priority over planned exercise at the moment, unfortunately.
  10. A - I’m thankful for this.

Running total: 69/80

Time for the FINAL point allocations and a bit of MATH!

Q9: How many days per week do you recover with NO planned exercise?
A. more than 2 days per week = 8 points
B. 2 days per week = 10 points
C. 1 day per week = 10 points
D. typically, no recovery days = 0 points

Taking a rest day each week is something to be proud of. It is an illustration that you care about your health and fitness. It is an indication that you understand the principles of work and recovery. It demonstrates that you want to be faster, stronger, and more powerful. Sometimes you may need more than one rest day in a week! Cool- listen to your body.

Q10: What is the frequency that you experience symptoms related to stress?
A. never = 10 points
B. almost never = 9 points
C. occasionally = 5 points
D. almost always = 0 points

Thousands of studies have been completed on the benefits of exercise on stress. It is obvious that there is an inverse relationship between exercise and symptoms related to stress- But intense training is a stress. And life outside training is a stress… often a big stress. So it is critical to take note of how we balance it all and make adjustments in order to be the best athlete who is also happy as well as injury free.

Ready to calculate your 10 question score?!?!
Total out of 100 points.

80-100 points EXCELLENT = You are dominating the exercise recovery strategies. Keep up the amazing work of balancing sleep, nutrition, water, training, and stress!

60-80 points GOOD = You should be proud of multiple categories were you nailed the recovery game. With a few minor changes in 2-3 categories you will likely feel the difference in training and life!

40-60 points IMPROVE = You are up for the challenge of making healthy changes because you answered all the questions and are reading until the end. Select one category this month to focus on improving and see what a difference you can make!

0-40 points HELP! = You have a lot going on… and recovery is not one of them at this time. But it is never too late to make healthy changes. Start with your sleep habits and see if additional time and higher quality help motivate you for change in other areas.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU for your participation and comments this week. It was really motivating and beneficial to hear personal experiences and tips.

5 Likes

Thanks for the recovery insight @coach.jinger.g . The thread has been a great read

I ended up scoring 80 which I am pleased with, just need to try and go to bed earlier to get 7 plus hours of sleep!

3 Likes
  1. C
  2. C
    Recovery Score 70

I got 81

Have been hydrating WAY better since doing this!!! Am into the Excellent category by the skin of my teeth. Mostly because I’m following my plan religiously and the rest falls into place from there.

Thanks @coach.jinger.g that was very insightful

2 Likes

Damn. Is there a category below ‘help’, no, ok then, help it is.

Living up to the Scottish stereotype then.

Right, well, full frontal time then

2 Likes

Q9: A
10: C

So, 64 points total. GOOD but not EXCELLENT.

Recovery Score 63 at this point
Q#9 C
Q#10 D