Reinventing the wheel

The below design was in my suggested articles the other day. I wonder if anyone has had the honour trying a similar reinventing of the bicycle or significant twist on its design?

I would love to see what riding this feels like.

2 Likes

UCI has already pre-banned it.

:wink:

2 Likes

That looks heavy.
That also looks like there is no easy means of steering.
That also looks like it ignores the fact that there are loads of circumstances where allowing wheels to move at (slightly or even significantly) different speeds can be beneficial.

All in all, I’m not sure I see a beneficial point other than it being a hipster cruiser for the sake of being different :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, I thought it had more in line with a train (straight lines only on tracks?)
Would like to see how efficient it feels compared to normal. I would think maybe no flats on this one :thinking::joy:
but more interested in what other design variations in the bicycle might be out there. I hope others may have seen other oddball real life setups with unusual drivetrain features, for example. Edit *drivetrain features *not failures. Sheesh.

What problem is this bicycle trying to solve?

If you look at all the significant advances in bicycle design, they were improvements in making the bicycle, safer, faster, more maneuverable, or cheaper. What is this design trying to do besides being clever?

You would also have to look at any maintenance challenges this new design would present.

2 Likes

This is something that does appear to solve a “problem”.
It’s not for everyone, but there is some sense to it at least.
I’ve seen other, similar, traditionally pedal powered bikes with two front wheels, which provides a lot of stability, especially on truly grinding climbs (though adds weight, so…)

2 Likes

Hence the topic title. :wink:

I guess when Mountain Bikers get old, they can now get an e-bike just like road riders.
Imagine carrying that bike in a cyclocross race.

1 Like

That is a fascinating ebike(though at $8000 for the Rubicon Trail edition it had better be!)

Thanks for sharing. I can imagine being eighty years old and not able to pedal much, but heading off on a Rungu. Lookout world :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yes rather it creates problems I admit.
It made me think of the solid tired rental bikes created around the world for cities including large areas in China, which can end up unfixable and /or discarded in heaps shortly after manufacture.

I really just posted it as it’s a novelty, and I’m interested to hear if others have had the experience of trying unorthodox designs like this.

1 Like

Sadly, that was my gut reaction too.

Don’t feel too bad, the Tour de France did not allow derailleurs until 1937 despite being invented years earlier.

3 Likes

Now that I’ve been looking at weird and innovative bike designs, this popped up in my news feed today. It actually does solve a trike problem. Plus the design looks a lot cleaner than the infinity bike, imho

Closer look at Arcimoto's radical new 3-wheeled leaning electric bike

1 Like

That is Intriguing. No throttle? Looks like it would be a blast.
I could follow Mike Cotty on that :grin:

2 Likes

:heart: Let’s do it!

2 Likes

Standing??

1 Like